Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

walking bass lines

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by basspunk666, Aug 10, 2003.

1. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    hey could anyone plz give me some good walking bass jazz kind of lines. like tell me where to find tabs or sumthin and dnt just say jazz is in the heart and all that s***. i know u dnt really find good jazz in tabs but i just want to know a couple of cool lines to play. thanx

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would never say that - but I would say that Jazz walking lines are imperovised, non-repetitive lines that are created by the player -so they are different every time.

The idea for the bassist in Jazz, is to improvise walking lines based on the chords - that is to use your knowledge of what notes fit with which chords - to create your own line - not to play what somebody else played at one point in time.

3. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    yeh i understand wot ur talkin about but i would just really like a couple of cool songs or lines that i could learn. thats all. thanx

4. Bruce wins the Microsoft award for a reply which is totally 100% accurate but of no practical use!!!

It is true that you improvise around the chords, but it is also extremely useful to have a couple of examples to see how people do it.

I can't give you any tab because I don't understand tab (won't, rather).

You won't find the meaning of a bass line in tab. I suggest you listen to a couple of neat bits of walking, and try to copy. It can only be done, IMO, by listening. Try some of Charles Mingus' 4/4 stuff. Or, perhaps better for a start, Louis Jordan's proto rock and roll, which is walking pure and simple and easily copiable. Even 'Rock around the clock' is a good place to start! Listen to old T-Bone Walker numbers and copy the bass. No doubt others will chip in with their favourites.

5. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    thanx andy that was a much more useful reply

6. Bruce Lindfield

That is because of the restrictive rules that apply to this part of the site - which mean that I am not 'allowed' to say that Tabs are a waste of time in this context - but of course I agree that listening to somebody like Mingus and transcribing his lines is one of the best things that you can do - also any by :

Paul Chambers, Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Sam Jones etc etc. :)

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    basspunk666, what's your aim in this venture?

- to learn how to play jazz?

- to be able to drop a little walking bass lick into a song your are working on?

- just plain curiousity and trying to introduce some new ideas into your practise routines?

All of those are valid... but if you don't get any more useful answers here, do a search for "walking bass lines" - how to build them has been covered multiple times before, mainly in the General Instruction forum.

Wulf

ps. Bruce - I'd disagree that tabs are a complete waste in this context, although just thinking in terms of fret/string combinations rather than the structure and direction of a walking line isn't worth much.

8. I love it when people take a calm, intelligent attitude when I am unforgiveably rude about them! Thanks, Bruce!

Mods note! No one is knocking tab here! Just pointing out that 'it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing' so to speak!

9. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    guys i just want a couple of lines to play every now and again wen im practicing. i dnt want to make my own stuff. i dnt want to get right into jazz (yet) but i just want some cool stuff to play wen i feel like it

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What have you heard that has sparked this desire to play walking lines? You can play a whole bunch of notes but without context and some logical consistency, it's going to be no more musical than running up and down a bunch of scales.

Presumably something has inspired you... so what was it?

Wulf

11. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    i was at a jazz festival and i herd some cool lines. i dnt no the name of the band playing them but it sounded good so i would like to learn some. i havent been playing bass for long so i dnt know any scales and i cant read the scale tab kind of thing they have on some websites. so if u think learning scales will help then could u tell me where i could learn some.

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Do you know the names of the notes and where to find them on the neck of your bass (eg. fret five on the D string is a G)?

If you know the notes, you can start to understand scales, and if you can start to understand scales, you've got an entrance into the world of walking bass lines (at which point you have to go back to judging the results by ear!).

Wulf

13. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    i know the name of the notes on the neck but that still hasnt helped me cos i dnt no what there playing by ear. all i want dude is if someone has any lines they know like tab them or tell me where to get them. THAT IS ALL.

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
  15. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Okay. I haven't got any walking bass line tabs up my sleeve, so I'll wait for you to check out previous threads in General Instruction and, if necessary, start your own.

Wulf

16. Bruce Lindfield

Hey, Wulf it really makes you feel like it was all worth it, doesn't it, when :

THAT IS ALL the thanks you get for trying to help! :meh:

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    What an Excellent place to start! On one of the most aggressive bass players in history!

So this kids gonna go from playing root notes over some four chord punk song to a 200+bpm walking line over a jazz blues progression!

I think you get second prize Andy ;)

My advice - try some more simple WRITTEN walking lines to help you get the feel before even attempt to start understading improvised lines.

Here's a couple of funky numbers that have a nice simple walking lines:

If You Want Me To stay - Sly & The Family Stone
    Walkabout - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Both lines are repetative, but will give you an understanding of how a walking line "feels". Plus they're both played on electric so are easier to hear and emulate.

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Bruce, you old cynic ;)

I'm just keeping my eyes open for a new thread to spring up on GI... :D

Wulf

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    cant see it me self... from punk to jazz in one step... naah?

20. basspunk666

basspunk666 Guest

Jul 22, 2003
    thanx heaps guys. ill look at those songs howard. thanx man.wulf sorry dude i was pissed off last nite wen i wrote the reply but u have helped heaps. thanx again everyone.