1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walking bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wildo3000, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    hi, i've recently made it into my high school's advanced jazz ensemble, which is going to force me to do quite a bit of walking. any advice about this? i know this has probably been asked a million times. thanks

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Dude, just play notes, the right ones will come to you!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best thing to do is listen, listen, listen. Listen to great walking lines from classic recordings. Listen to the band and choose notes that fit with what they're doing. Listen to your director when he gives you ideas. And listen to yourself. Walking bass lines aren't hard to do. It just takes practice and a good ear.

4. walking basslines can be quite catchy if you know where to throw the right notes.

when i was taught my instructor taught be the basic structure for a 12 bar blues walking line , goes 1-3-5-6 up and down would be 8-6-5-3 or flat 7-6-5-3 . keep in mine this is just a standard pattern, you can throw 4's or 2's in there, make it your own man. experiment and have fun, thats what its all about.

5. congratulations... now for the hard part... :)

"Building Walking Basslines" by Ed Friedland...

ISBN 0-7935-4204-9

get it and work on it... he does not expect you to follow the examples note for note, he expects you to produce your own lines for the exercises so it's a real workout on the theory he introduces.

6. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    +1

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Duff's suggestions are the traditional starting point for walking bass lines. However, you're going to want to branch out from that ASAP or you will be considered a country bassist in a jazz context. However, even after 30 years, I can't tell you how many times I have played 1-3-5-6 to this day, so it's definitely a great place to start.

8. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    thanks all of you and im already doing 12 Bar blues..maybe too much

9. I have that book!! ha
    +2

10. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    i was trying to figure out walking basslines aswell. i went to the store today and looked at that book unfortuneately i can't read any of it. :( i can't read music... tried taking lessons but it sucked so bad.

11. davemarks

davemarks

Apr 30, 2007
    London, England
    Endorsing Artist: EBS
    Hey guys - any of you having trouble with walking can check out a series that I'm posting on youtube - there are 5 lessons up at present and more going up each week.

http://www.youtube.com/davemarks

12. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    thanks! i watched a few minutes of it and its pretty helpful.

13. Wildo3000

Wildo3000

Mar 10, 2006
    forgot to add dave, what kind of bass is that? looks like a p with a marcus miller neck

14. davemarks

davemarks

Apr 30, 2007
    London, England
    Endorsing Artist: EBS
    It's just the Fender Marcus model...

most people went for the tan, I went for the white...

Dave

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021