Walking bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Amoilbasso, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Hallo Steve,
    when I started practicing walking bass,my lines were based mostly on arpegios,and less on the scales and chromatisms;now that I've started to study with a better teacher,I've realized how my lines are repeatitiv and scholastic:I have to expand them with a larger use of scales,but it's tough.It's been more than a month since I practice everyday with Abersold on Summertime and Joy Spring:things go quite better now on this two,but if I play a new one,I'm still very very based on the arpegios,and is still difficult to make real lines come out.When I play I have the sesation my mind is blocked.I suppose it's amater of ear also.What can you suggest me.
    Thank you very much.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK

my tip is get deep into those arpeggios - it's only in the context of chord tones that the 'scale' looking stuff makes sense - walking bass is all about arpeggios, in the sense that you're looking at the 'scale' phrases that you're referring to as sequences of chord tones, and then altering them to sometimes approach the root of the following chord by a half step instead of a whole step, which implies an alteration in the chords, but can just be seen as a smoother bass movement...

the question of whether or not arpeggio lines feel mechanical is more one of perception than theory...

stick with it

3. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Thamk you Steve,
    I went to lesson yesterday,and things seem to improve a lot,since the last one I did one month earlier;I'm very happy!:)