1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walking bass

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by codycaz, Oct 9, 2010.

1. codycaz

codycaz

Oct 8, 2010
    Cape Town, SA
    Hi David,
    I've just recently started off with the bass.So there is still a lot to learn.What i need to know is that if i play eg, G-major(root note) scale and i use the 3rd and 5th as well,what other notes can i throw in there to make it complete if i play whole notes.Eg,G B D ?/C E G ?/D F#A ?
    r 3 5 3 5 3 5:

2. codycaz

codycaz

Oct 8, 2010
    Cape Town, SA
    Can anybody help me with this question i've posted.C'mon guys

3. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    depends on the song, when you play is often more important than what note you play, if its walking lines your looking at its worth just listening to what other players are doing.

i also highly recommend ed frreidlands book on on walking lines. it helps you create lines in bite sized chunks, its a great read.

4. +1

5. codycaz

codycaz

Oct 8, 2010
    Cape Town, SA
    Thanks a lot funkmangriff.I could'nt make out what book though.

6. VonCakeman

VonCakeman

Sep 22, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    +1 on the books and listening. That's a great place to start. For me, the ah ha moment came when I started looking at walking differently than I had other music in the past. Start on the root. Later on you can get more complicated, but you'll never go wrong starting on the root. After that, don't worry so much about what chord you are walking on. What you need to worry about is the next chord you are walking to. So long as you llead into the next chord my a second, 4th, or 5th. You'll be ok.

If the changes are G7 to C7. Play a G, then think of the best way to get to a Bb, D, F, or back to a G in 3 more notes. Hit the C, then think about where you need to go to next chord. Most importantly though, make sure you get the pulse of the tune right. If you miss a note, few people will notice, (they might complement you for playing out). If you miss the rhythm, the'll take notice.

7. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    too big of an answer for a post bro - there are entire books devoted to how to construct walking bass lines. you can probably find web sites with this information already there for you.

Generally you're going to stick with the triadic chord tones - 1, 3, 5 - especially on the strong beats (1 and 3 in 4/4).

You can add non-chord tones to embellish the chord tones, to delay resolution to chord tones, to connect to the next chord, to approach a chord tone, to create a sense of motion, etc...

The non-chord tones can be diatonic (in the scale) or chromatic. But you've got to study this in a systematic way. Use them too much and the music will lose it's harmonic foundation which you are supposed to provide. Use them on the strong beats and you'll make the harmony ambiguous also. You'll also need big ears. Play a flat 9 while the pianist is playing a natural 9 and you're gonna have some serious tension there for a moment.

You'll find more complete answers here on TB and all over the net:

http://www.malletjazz.com/lessons/bassline.html

8. codycaz

codycaz

Oct 8, 2010
    Cape Town, SA
    Good stuff.I've got it.Thanks a lot all you guys out there.
    I feel that i've really met the right people to help me out when i need some help.That goes foes for Art and Bon as well.

9. codycaz

codycaz

Oct 8, 2010
    Cape Town, SA
    Hey Art,
    That site gave me everything.Cheers man.