Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walking bass.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MrSaturn, May 31, 2003.

1. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    Do you guys have any (possibly movable)walking bass paterns that aern't very blues-y. I have been trying to make up some but they all sound like blues. I've tried some stuff that sounded good with diminished chords but it wasnt walking,
    C7=(C C C^ Bb G F E F E) its movable.
    I have a craving for some walking bass. I would enjoy more of a ska/punkish walking bass stuff. Thanks.

PS. is that little line good, you need to figure out the rhythm though. also C^ is an octave up from the original C and it goes down from there.)

(edit my line was either C7 or Cdim7, im not fully full on my chords and stuff yet)

2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Get this book : Linear fingerboard harmony for bass by Gary Willis, it should do the trick.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm not a ska/punk expert, but i'd guess that what you're looking for is something along the lines of just playing quarter notes of arpeggios. i.e. C7 - C E G E

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah.. occasionally I'll hear people throw in pentatonic stuff but it's usually just diatonic arpeggios in my experience.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    In general, if you play repeating patterns, you are going to sound somewhat blues-y no matter what your note choices are. One of the things that makes blues sound like blues is repetitive, movable bass lines.

So, first question: What kind of music ARE you trying to play?

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    It's hard to suggest anything with only one chord to walk over, really - is that the whole sequence, or do you play over other chords?

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    moved to GI