Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walking better basslines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 5intheface, May 20, 2005.

1. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I don't know if this is as much as technique question as a theroy question, but here goes: Without buying a book, is there perhaps a website with tips and advice for walking better basslines/ chord structures and how to build chords and whatnot?

I will probably learn more when I attend Abersold this summer, but I want to practice up, so if I could find a good website I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I got this Miles Davis CD witht he Best Buy gift certificate I got playing with a choir (sweet deal, huh? Let Cello do all the work and get fifteen bucks) and it's Birdland 1951, evidentally bootleg stuff they've "restored" and whatnot. The quality is still pretty shoddy, but that was to be expected. But my main question is, does anybody else think it sounds very little like Miles? Very busy solos and crystal clear tone for the most part, it's kind of unlike him. All-star cast with him though: Mingus, Art Blakey, J.J. Johnson, Sonny Rollins, Tommy Potter, and others. Reason I bought the album.

2. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Try www.activebass.com. There are a LOT of really great lessons, most with sound clips that allow you to control tempo, etc.