1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walking Book/Video/Lines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Maxbass1, Feb 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Maxbass1

Maxbass1

Feb 3, 2016
    Hi there!

3 simple questions fellas :

-Any good walking bass book with tabs out there?

-Best bass instructional videos on youtube? Pick one or two.

-Must know songs/bass lines for beginning/intermediate players?

I got no idea about walking bass book tbh, the videos on youtube Ive enjoyed the most are the Jaco, Stu Ham and Jeff Berlin ones but I guess there are a lot more than I donĀ“t even know they exist.

Must know lines for me are Bob Marley Stir it up, I shot the sheriff, Iron Lion Zion, Jamming.
    Jamiroquai Runaway and Too young to die.
    Santana version oye como va.
    Herbie Hancok Chamaleon synth bass line, Watermelon man and Cantalupe Island.
    Pink Floyd Money.

Cheers.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. Building walking bass lines by Ed Freidland
    www.talkingbass.net
    Must know depends on the music you play. I play Praise and that is roots to the beat. I also play Country and it is root five to the beat with chromatic runs to the next chord.

That is kinda generic both based upon the beat (groove) more so than specific notes or licks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I have the Ed Friedland "Building Walking Bass Lines" book. It's very good. Many (most?) of the online resources - scottsbasslessons, talkingbass(dot)net, etc. - that i've seen are all designed around the same concept(s). You start with the root note with some chromatic approaches to the next chord. Then add the 5th (still with chromatic approaches). Then the 3rd ... i.e., they're built using chord tones & chromatics initially. Later on, the Dominant or Scale approaches get sprinkled in.

If you know where the root note is, you really don't need tabs to find the 5th.

You seem to have a wide variety of interest in musical genres. So you already know that walking bass is not just found in jazz. Lots of classic rock songs. Check out some of Sir Paul's work with the Beatles.

5. Maxbass1

Maxbass1

Feb 3, 2016
    Cheers guys, Ive being experimenting a lot with some wrapping chords and bebop enclosure ideas that I used to play on guitar but I feel I still need a good book in order to start fresh with this, just in case I send up playing it in a more free caotic way.