1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

walking head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cadduc, Jun 25, 2007.

1. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i am now using a newly acquired mesa walkabout head as my primary amplifier,

replacing my two fender dual showman and one ampeg svt

i have used it in rehearsals for about eight weeks now and used it out in a festival setting for the first time this weekend

no problems and in fact i am very pleased with everything about the amp

except half way thru the first set

i turned around to see it hovering dangerously half on and half off the cabinet, about to crash onto the stage

so i coaxed it back and then i watched it as it danced all over the top to the speaker cab
    so i taped it into place

there is almost no vibration from the speaker cab but the amp is so light weight that any vibration causes it to move about

anyone else have this problem and did you solve it with duct tape or some other material

thanks

2. I've been using lightweight heads (much lighter than the Walkabout) for many years, and have never had this issue. I have heard that some have an issue with the composite Flite cabs, which seem to vibrate quite a bit, but otherwise, I haven't really heard this being an issue. What cab are you using... it must be vibrating like crazy! One thing you might try is installing rubber feet on the cab, which might secure it more firmly to the floor.

Something seems strange here, since the Walkabout head is not considered a feather weight. Do you have rubber feet on the bottom of the Walkabout... that would be key also to keep it in place, especially if you have a spray on cab coating.

K

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    DO NOT USE DUCK TAPE

The adhesive on duck tape will adhere if not melt and stick to your amp. Put some rubber feet on the bottlom as Ken mentioned or a foam padding of some sort as a spacer bewteen the amp and cab.

I too have amps lighter than the walkabout and don't have movement but my cabs are the carpet covered type.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never had that problem with my Walkabout when I take it out of the Scout cabinet to use with other cabinets.. The rubber feet keep it well secured. But I suppose it could happen with some cabinets.

I usually carry a piece of foam 1" thick on gigs and it works well to stop any dancing around with other heads. I like the idea of isolating the head more than the feet provide anyhow.

I've had my Walkabout for a few years now and absolutely love it. Pricey, but worth the money.

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I suppose that's why they call it the WalkAbout, mate!:)

No, seriously, I've never had mine move at all in the last few years. What kind of cab is it sitting on?

6. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    never had this problem since my heads weigh as much as bags of portland cement. But I'd use a sheet of foam under it to dampen vibration.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    ...;)

8. This is why I love my Mo'Bass/Ampeg Stack. Since the head + cabinets weight at least 150 lbs (if not more) it stays where I put it. And the bottomcab even has coasters underneat...

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021