walking lines for a beginner to transcribe

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by frankosaurus, Feb 16, 2004.

1. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    hi, after playing electric bass for several years, I started double bass about 6 months ago. My teacher had me transcribe the bass line from Autumn Leaves (as recorded on Somethin' Else). I found that helped me a lot in coming up for ideas in the progression. Since then I've done some transcriptions of blues tracks on Sam Rivers albums (Ron Carter on bass).

Does anyone have suggestions for CDs with good parts to transcribe?
    they would be:
    easy to find
    not too hard to transcribe (good sound quality)

Any bass veterans know of bass transcriptions they did early in their study which really advanced their understanding?

I'm working on blues progressions now, so if anyone has suggestions for good walking blues parts to study, that would be cool.
    Reiska and LeeNunn like this.
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    FWIW, currently working on a Beautiful Love rendition from Didier Lockwood's Tribute to Grappelli ... it's not blues, but NHOP's work in that tune is worth checking out, IMO.
  3. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    For Blues the best thing I ever transcribed was the Oscar Peterson Trio's Night Train. Ray Brown's lines on this mostly blues record are some of my favorite all times on the changes.
    LeeNunn likes this.
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    A great record is the Miles Davis record "Bag's Groove." It has Percy Heath on bass. Really groovin' swinging bass that is very clearly recorded.
    LeeNunn likes this.
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've always loved what Ron Carter did on "Basin St. Blues" on Miles' "Seven Steps To Heaven". Really nice when he transitions from the two feel to walking.
  6. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    For some blues walking check out Doug Watkins unaccompanied intro to "Blue 7" on "Saxophone Colussus" by Sonny Rollins.

I'll second 'Night train' as being a pretty good place to see what Ray Brown does with the blues.

Ed Fuqua and LeeNunn like this.
  7. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    thanks a lot for these suggestions. I'm really eager to try them out!
  8. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    I'd also recommend checking out some Paul Chambers. His lines anchored countless groups. A good place to start is by checking out some of the tunes from Miles' Prestige recordings like Blues by Five.
  9. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I was going to ask the same question that the OP asked and then found this thread. I just bought Night Train and Bag's Groove. I can't wait. I already have Saxophone Colussus. I'm just learning to use Sibelius notation software, and I'm really enjoying it. I transcribed Ray's bass line on Natalie Cole's cover of Route 66, and sometimes I can't get parts of that line out of head.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Also Percy Heath on Miles' recording of "Walking" from Miles Davis and the All Stars. Well recorded and the lines are easy to pick out, mostly chord tones not a lot of chromatic stuff.
    LeeNunn likes this.
  11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

HEY! Give me back my Avatar, thief!
    LeeNunn likes this.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check out LIVE AT THE "IT" CLUB, Thelonious Monk Quartet, bassist Larry Gales plays an unaccompanied chorus of walking bass before his bass solo on pretty much every tune. It's very easy to hear him walk through the form. I also like to recommend MOTION, Lee Konitz , Sonny Dallas sounds great on this. The trio format (alto, bass, drums) makes it easy to hear the bass and Sonny Dallas' "quarter note melody" is unparalleled.
    LeeNunn and oren like this.
  13. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, I ordered Walking, Live the "IT" Club, and Motion. Ed, your Amazon links were very handy. By the way, I really appreciate all the great advice you guys give here at TB. These albums should keep me busy for a while. I'm really looking forward to studying this albums.
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This was the first line that I transcribed, as advised by my guitarist friend Matt Whittington, so I'd have something to play under a blues.
  15. damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    A super easy one but great for checking out your left hand and working on getting things even is Friday the 13th by Monk. Even though it is more of an Ostinato it is really helpful in getting a good walking feel.