Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walking Lines - Todd Johnson Module System

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Nov 6, 2005.

1. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Check out Todd Johnson's Module System for learning walking bass lines.

http://www.toddjohnsonmusic.com/home.html

As an old newbie, I am always looking for resources on learning bass lines.

Last week, I was in Southern California on a business trip. I went to a jazz club in Fullerton called Steamers because the band playing was led by the guitarist Ron Eschete. He has played and recorded with Ray Brown and Gene Harris among others. His bassist was Todd Johnson who plays a 6-string electric bass. I was disappointed that he wasn't playing a DB, but his playing style was tremendous. I was sitting next to a student of his who introduced us before the first set and we started talking about my wanting to learn bass lines. His advice was very helpful. One of his recording projects was a CD with Kristen Korb playing DB and singing while he plays the 6-string and Kendall Kay plays drums. It is a very good record and since I like Kristen as a bassist and vocalist, it is a bonus.

He has a DVD explaining his simplified method of learning how to contruct walking bass lines. At his website, he has a page with two free lessons on PDFs. It is a great approach to teaching bass line construction.

2. Uh, that would be modal. I would have to point out, that while the examples are good and the concepts are sound, there is no mention of how to pick approach notes in this excerpt. Maybe he deals with that elsewhere. Otherwise, this is good advice on how to walk on a modal tune.

3. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    He does mention the approach notes in the DVD.

4. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    Try using some simple digital patterns.

root/ chord tone/ root/ half step approch note below or above

r/r/r/r
    r/ct/r/hs
    r/r/ct/hs

this will give you many options and ideas over any chord and connect your walking lines together.

5. Jim Stinnets guide to creating jazz lines on bassically.net (i think its IIB now, but i cant remember the link off the top of my head).

That has helped my tremendously, however sometimes, after using the root/chord tone/root(or another chordtone/half step approach so much I have found my lines to be sometimes very 'normal', good, but not exciting.