Walking Lines

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Jan 8, 2006.

1. For Christmas I got a really sweet Sony minidisk recorder with a great little mic. If you're looking for a great little recording device check it out and it blows me away every time with how good it sounds. But anyways on to the subject, I've recorded a couple of gigs that I've done recently and I've come up with something. It sounds like my lines are actually a little behind, very consistant so it's not like I'm slowing down but they are still behind. When I play it feels like I'm playing right on but turns out that I'm not I guess lol. Any ideas? I tried just recording with an Aebersold and tried to push it to where it was right on but it felt like I was rushing really bad. Any thoughts, comments, ideas?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've posted this elsewhere, but do this:

A) Record yourself walking with the metronome on 2 & 4, swinging your little heart out.
    B) SIT DOWN and play it back. Take a deep breath.
    C) if not satisfied, go back to 'A', otherwise...
    D) Now you have it with the click. Repeat back to 'A' without the metronome.

Do this every other day or so for a couple of weeks. It'll fix you up in no time.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's more of this kinda stuff that I can dig into, but it'd be really a lot easier over the phone or something. Nothing new, just stuff that I've posted in bits and pieces all over the place over the last couple thousand posts :) Another TB'er and I chatted the other day and some of my 'mojo' tricks seemed to work for him, so buzz me if you'd like.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll start posting my practical voodoo stuff at the Lessons & Articles forum.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe
  4. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Some this may have to do with how you're "imagining" the beat while you play. The next beat comes, you move your finger/arm, and pull the string. The thing is, what the other guys hear, and what you hear on the recordings, is the sound produced a split second after you release the string. But you might be imagining the beat as that point where you first touch the string, or when you first move your finger. So you have to compensate, and realize that the beat is in that release, not in any of those prepatory motions. If you can re-condition yourself to think of the beat as being towards the end of the plucking motion, then you can play it there without feeling like you're rushing.

Another thing to consider is whether you get what my wife calls a "boom-boom" bass sound, or a "doo-doo" bass sound. Ray Brown kind of epitomizes the former, with an almost percussive sound at the beginning of his notes. The latter, maybe George Mraz. A more smooth attack. George is great, but some guys who have this kind of sound tend to sound more behind to me, just because the attack doesn't hit you as hard.

In any case, Ray's idea seems like a good way to work these things out. Good luck.
  5. Thank you both. I was thinkin about that when you pull the string and when the sound is actually produced. I tried to explain that but didn't do it very well. SO, when I was saying that when I tried to pull the string sooner and it literally felt rushed it was really probably closer to right. It's just gonna probably be a while before that feeling changes. Thank you both though. I'll definitely be workin on what Ray says. I appreciate the offer Ray and if things don't work out I'll for sure take you up on that.