Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walking Stick Basses from Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angelopb, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Anybody play one of these?

https://tornado.he.net/~konaweb/secure/walkingstick.html

How would a harp style bass string sound through a piezo pup on koa? I am wondering if these things will growl? Look like they would be fun on open mic nights.

Any similiar sticks under 500 clams?

2. i think someone actually posted these before on TB, but they do look interesting!
    i wouldn't mind trying one!

3. they used to have a four string version that seemed like a cheap alternative to an eub. (now dean has one)

4. Yeah but this thing looks COOL and is half the price of the dean.

I don't like the flat fingerboard, harp strings and tuners.

But I wonder if you could put syn-gut strings(If they make them that small) or even true bass tapewounds if (they make them that big) and real tuners. I tried the sound clip and the guys email and both are non-functional. I just want to hear one.

5. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    My email is kb@konaweb.com - I would be happy to send you an mp3 if you can't get them off the web site. If you have broadband, download the free quicktime software, and you can watch the mp4 movies! I have never messed with metal strings, cuz the nylon ones have such a nice tone. If you want metal strings and pickup coils, you would be better off with a barker bass or something along those lines. The walkingstick is just a great alternative to lugging an acoustic standup around.

Aloha,
    -Konabob

6. barker bass is ugly. looks like a bass guitar with an ugly body. yours is original, hawaiian and very cool acoustic gigs. is there a blend of woods that you use with the koa/ i like dark, deep with good mid range and rolled off highs.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Interesting :eyebrow:

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've just listened to the MP3's and all of a sudden, there's this stupid grin on my face :p It sounds really impressive for a stick like that :D

9. They look cool. But I'd rather get a Chapman Stick...
    oooo A Chapman Stick. Yeah, I neeed one of those!
    BTW Rusty, nice sig. I love the psalms

10. I'm the one who originally posted about the Kona Walkingstick

see:

Kona Walkingstick review

Plus, I just received my polycarbonate Chapman Stick yesterday....

what a co-inky-dink...

11. Do the new ones come with eqs? The current one's look like three stringers.

I personally hate piezo elements for pickups. But they actually have ribbon transducers, e.g. L.R. Baggs ABR tacoma preamp. This is basically a tiny rubber strip with something inside that is a little more faithful to the signal. I wonder if that could be ordered to fitted to the bass at the time of ordering. I would rather Kona Bob intall it.

My tacoma thunderchief bass catches more attention at acoustic open mic gigs than the people who deserve it. I can only imagine what the Kona stick does. WIthout feedback problems, I would think the L.R. Baggs ribbon transducer would be the ticket.

Have you done any mods since you first got it? Have you tuned it to chords like E-B-G or something.

In slack tuning, can you flat the middle string for minor key songs for blues and stuff?

12. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    All the Walkingsticks are 3 string. I did make 16 with 4 strings, and I may make more sometime in the next year or so. Send me a URL about the technical aspects of the ribbon transducer. I am always looking for improvements, especially if I don't have to raise the price of the instrument.

I am now selling the stick with the bridge and nut set up for one of three different tunings. E-A-D, A-D-G, or G-B-D.

In the slack key tuning, there are several ways to deal with minor
    keys. My favorite is to simply play the 1 on the G string, and then
    simply slide up the neck 3 half steps to the minor third.

-Konabob