1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walking through modal pieces

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by bsullivan, May 5, 2006.

1. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    Hey Todd,

I have both of your DVD's. Great stuff.

Sidebar: Anyone wondering if the DVD's are worth it? Yes they are. Extremely well done.

I know you'll likely deal with my question in an upcoming DVD but any advice or direction you could provide would be appreciated.

Walking through a modal piece like 'So What?'. Any tips, excercises, things I should focus on?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Bill,

Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you..... slammed as usual. I'm blessed with work....PTL for that!!

I just finished putting together a "REALLY" nice answer to your question. It's basically a chapter in a book.... if I were writing one....on modal bass line construction. (BTW, this information will "eventually" be in a DVD etc......just in case anyone's wondering!?)

It's done in pdf. format.... but I'm not sure how to post it on my forum. :help:

I have a call out to Paul Determan for some help.....:help:

SO........as soon as I find out how to post the pdf ..... then I will!!! :D

I'll try to send it to you in an email etc... if I can figure out how to do that..... I think I know what to do..... ANYWAY... I still would like to post this for everybody else to check out as well.

Talk to you soon,

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'd definitely want to see that one too, Todd. Heh heh... :bag:

If you don't mind, once you find a way to post it on your website, could you post here and let us know it's there? :D

Thanks!! :cool:

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'd like to see this .pdf as well. :)

5. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    I'm planning on posting it "here"..... on TalkBass.... for all to see etc.!!!

Will do as soon as I figure it out......or recieve instructions.

Play slow!

6. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    Thanks Todd.

Email sent.

7. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I'm so slow.......

I HAVE NOT forgotten about this........I've just been swamped. PLUS.... I'm leaving in the morning (May 23rd) for a week. I'll be in the Bay Area for some Zon and Accugroove business....then I'll be in Sacramento for the Jazz Festival there. I'll be back home late on the 30th.

I'll attempt to get something posted when I get back......

Thanks again for your patience!

8. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    No sweat Todd. Thanks for the update.

I can't say I would have touched it just yet anyway.

May 13th my wife and I welcomed our first child into the world. :hyper:

Joslyn Marie

Needless to say I haven't had much time to practice.....or sleep.:D

I do look forward to the pdf though.

Thanks again.

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Hmm, I'd like to see this as well!

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I, too, would like to see this, although I'm sure it's going to go right over my head.

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Congratulations! That's great news! :D

12. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Bill,

Sorry this has taken me so long to "finally" get done. Thanks for your patience.

Well, here goes..........This attachment "should" answer your Modal bass questions....or at least give you a good start!!

Play slow

Attached Files:

13. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    That's a huge help Todd. Thanks.

Between this and trying to transcribe Paul Chambers line I may actually get somewhere with this.:eek:

Now, just to improve my swing (it's tough you know when you spent so many years headbangin') :bassist:

Thanks again,

Bill

14. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Bill,

You're totally welcome!! Happy to help!!:D ...:cool:

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Todd, this is great advice for bass players who aren't familiar with V-I, II-V-I, etc and really looks like you're a superior teacher.

16. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Nice little piece.

And to add a big +1. I auditioned for a spot in a jazz trio many years ago. This was my first jazz gig after years of rock. Well, we played "So What", and also "Impressions".

I got the gig because:

"You are the first bass player who didn't mess up the form of So What"

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Haha wow, good story.

Todd, do you have anything in writing on how to walk using modes? That way superimposing changes along with playing modes would seem to be the best of both worlds.

18. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    I have it all written down in various forms....but this is the stuff that's going to be on my next DVD.

I'm hoping to film it sometime this summer.

Do you have a specific chord progressions you're struggling with??? Let me know and I'll be happy to help you with it as much as I can.

Cool............:cool:

19. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I need some good II-V ideas to work on. If we buy you lots of caffeinated beverages maybe the DVD will come out sooner. :hyper:

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Todd,

Thanks for this lesson. I remember seeing this one some time ago (on your website I think...). I made good use of this lesson on my 1st jazz combo gig last Wednesday. It worked like a charm.

I always get a little nervous when we play/practice So What. I mean, it starts with ME. I hear, "Whenever you're ready Joe." During the gig on Wednesday I played the head a little too slow. It didn't seem slow until I got to walking... I kinda' wished that I could start it over to pick things up a bit. Oh well. I'll make it cook next time.

Thanks again for your lesson(s). You're making us all better players.

Joe