1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wall hanger installation question (String Swing)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tranceFusion, May 10, 2010.

1. Is the fork that protrudes from the wall, that the guitar hangs on.. is it supposed to move? Or is it supposed to be completely tightened until it doesn't turn?

It seems odd that it would move given that the process of turning it unscrews it.. but when I tried to tighten it all the way, the plastic sheath piece cracked. Additionally, many basses (Fenders for instance) have offset headstocks requiring the fork to be at an angle, which would seem to work better if it was free to move.

2. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Yes, it's supposed to move.

3. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    The two prongs/forks/sticky-out bits are supposed to swivel, for the reasons you said.

Just make sure that you have the bracket screwed into the wall properly. 4 screws??

I mean really screwed in. I'm worried because you've cracked it already, make sure it's not going to come off.

If it's a wood frame and plasterboard wall, make sure you are into the stud (the 2x4 underneath). If it's brick, use good strong screws and plugs.

I just say because a rather inept-in-DIY guitarist friend just screwed into the plasterboard, no plugs, nothing, I don't know how he managed it to be honest.

He installed his pride and joy Les Paul over his other pride and joy tropical fish tank. :eek:

He came home one day to a very wet lounge room, expensive dead fish, glass everywhere and a slightly damp but otherwise unscathed Gibson.

:crying:

4. Yes, the wooden block is in the stud. The wooden block did not crack. Between the prongs and the wood block there is a plastic sheath that cracked - it doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than cosmetic (I am referring to the black cyclinder part).

I don't understand why, if it is supposed to swivel, that the prongs screw in? When they are swiveling, it is essentially screwing/unscrewing a bit.

CC01.

5. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I see what you mean. Basically it's not a brilliant design is it? A screw in wood should not be moving about really. But, in this case, you don't swivel the thing about much, so it doesn't really matter.

Unless every time you take it off you spin it once around, gradually unscrewing it. :eek: I think it's unlikely. I suppose you should check it once on a while, just to make sure.

My hangers are metal and swivel on a proper joint, so they can't unscrew.

But yours is a nicer wooden finish.

:D

6. What brand do you use? I thought I cared about the wood finish, then I realized the neck/headstock completely cover the wood up anyway..

7. I bought U-hangars with padding at ACE Hardware, mounted a 1x4 oak plank on the wall and screwed the hangers in. if you're hanging a Fender headstock, just turn the hanger a few degrees.

Planning the height of each plank and the distance between hangers is critical:

PC250032.

PC250037.

8. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Is that a applause in the background?

9. Yessir, an Applause AE-40....short scale. Pretty nice acoustic-electric if you're one of those who like the rounded Ovation back.

The action was kind of high when I got it, so I bought blank saddle material from Stew-Mac and used the original plastic saddle as a template and made a lower saddle - kept the original unmodified. That dropped the strings/action quite a bit. It's not electric-bass-low now, but much better than it was.