Wall Hangers: Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    We're buying a house this month, so I'll have an opportunity to hang my basses on the wall, rather than keep them on floor stands (I use them way to often and randomly to keep them in their cases).

Anyone with first hand experience have a good suggestion for a brand? I've got three five-string and one six-string ranging from 7-11 lbs., so they have to be fairly wide and sturdy. They'll be going into sheet rock walls, although I'm not sure if I'd be able to put each in a stud (they're wood studs), so I may need suggestions for anchors as well. Thanks!
  2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI

No doubt in my mind who I'd recommend. See the attached link: http://www.stringswing.com/products/product_category.php?category=1
    My local guitar shop uses them for their stock and the owner also uses them for his private collection. If he trusts them to place a $30,000 Strat on them, I think they should work for you. Not to mention they are manufactured here in Wisconsin, so that makes them even better. Enjoy!!
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'll summon LonnyBass...his playable wall art is both cool and beautiful...
  4. Bryan, I have 4 instruments on string swings on one wall. Been thru our normal humidity summers and dry winters for 2+ years, and not so much a sag.

The mounts are threaded drywall mollys. the wood block is steel backed. the anchor screws thread and expand that molly a bit more. they are very robust & strong. Don't worry about not hitting a stud, trust me, I've done the "pull downward check while the bass is on it" test, and they don't even flinch.
  5. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Lonnybass has arrived...

I strongly advise you get the Hercules hangers. They have a very nice locking feature that securely fastens around the neck of the instrument and prevents it from coming off. Expensive, but if you've got nice stuff, it's totally worth it.

Also, not all wall hangers are created "'level" - keep this in mind when you get yours. If your bass has a slightly deeper headstock cutaway on one side, the bass will slant that way on the hanger unless the hanger mount is free to swivel. Hercules makes a hanger that swivels in this way - it's especially helpful keeping my five stringers (with 3+2 headstocks) straight up and down.

I would also definitely advise using threaded drywall mollys - don't fall into the trap of just using the screws that come with the hangers. If you can put a big fat threaded molly into the screw hole on the hanger, go for it!

For your viewing pleasure, here's a photo of the Wall of Bass...

Attached Files:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Ron, do you know the exact model you use- there's dozens of choices on the site. It looks like the CC01 would be the one to get, but I wanted to check first. I like that it comes with threaded mollys already- not being able to drive makes it difficult to get to the nearest hardware store.

Do they offer a model with a free swivel as the Hercules model Lonnybass mentioned (I didn't see one on the site)? The Hercules ones are nice, but I've owned a Hercules tri-stand before, and had a hard time fitting wide-necked basses in it.

EDIT: Yup, for some reason I missed the "Yoke pivots to hold any type of headstock" comment when you click on a specific product.

My Elricks have a slightly deeper cut on the right side of the headstock, so they wouldn't hang straight with a standard hanger (I probably should have mentioned that before).
  7. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    you're gonna have some sweet wall art Bryan.

2 inch screws or longer just to be safe , i dont want to see any horror falling bass threads in your future ;)
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    As if I didn't have enough wall space taken up by my paintings :rolleyes: ;) But I figure they'll be safer from my toddler and my clumsy feet on the walls; I've had some near misses with floor stands.

The mollys that come with the hanger should be good enough, but I'll get bigger ones if need be. I'm not worried though- I'm sure they'll do fine. I used to hang 15-30lb paintings on unanchored 3/4 drywall screws- I'd angle them downwards to counterbalance the weight of the painting wire without any ever falling. Of course, I could always repaint the paintings if they were damaged- I doubt I'd be as lucky trying to glue chunks of broken off headstock back onto a bass ;)
  9. Hey Bryan, the guitarist in the band I'm in had this alternative to just hanging their guitars on hangers on the wall. They made an actual guitar rack, its pretty neat, they have pot lights built into the top and its wired into the dimmer switch in their basement it looks quite good. They used I believe 4, 6 inch screws, or it might of been 6, 4 inch screws, I personally tend to think they went with the first option lol but im not totally sure, and they did this on top of panelling.

10. Hi Bryan, yup, the cc01 is the model I use. It's attractive looking, and you can get it in different woods (as I didn't realise until I got a 4th and 5th home, and they were different than the other 3...from a different store...wierd, huh?)

Yeah, the hanger does indeed swivel, so the Fender, the Epi and the 8 string all are accomodated properly and securely.

Best of luck with them...post some pics. v:O)~

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    When I had my basses hung up I screwed the hangers into the studs for maximum strength. But I could only hang 2 instruments on the wall.

When I hang up the basses again I'm going to fashion a piece of wood that runs the length of the wall and bolt that to the studs. Then I'll bolt my hangers to that piece of wood.
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    That's a good idea!