Wall-hanging vs. guitar stands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hammer2748, Sep 7, 2004.

1. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Just wondering if there is any negative effects of storing basses/guitars from a wall-hanging position as in music store displays vs. sitting in a floor stand?

This is of-course beyond the obvious pitfalls of storing a guitar out of the case. I only have 3 basses, and they always stay stored in the case, however I have a friend who has a significant collection of basses and guitars and in a finished basement studio who would like to have them up off the floor but at the ready for use and asked me the question. I said I was curious as well and would field the question here. Appreciate the feedback on the matter. Thanks.

2. I've had 5 basses on wall hangers in my den for 3+ years, to no ill effect. After the gig, quick shine, back on the hanger. Looks nice too! :bassist:
  3. I have four on wall hangers, and have never had an issue. I find that I actually play more when they are on the wall.
  4. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I have heard from techs and Luthiers hanging an instrument by the headstock is actually better for the instrument than using a stand. Supposedly the lateral load placed on the neck on a stand has an adverse affect on the neck (bowing effect). Whereas, hanging from the headstock everything is in a straight line.

Don't know how true this is. But, this is what I have been told
  5. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
  6. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    What if your basement studio's walls are concrete? :( I'd love to have wall hangers, but I don't really wanna drill into the foundation of my house lol.
  7. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Never heard of a studio with concrete walls :rolleyes:
  8. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Appreciate the input all. Looks like he's putting 'em up!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I hang all of my basses. I have a small house, so I don't have room for stands for 12 basses. And I hate the clutter of having them in the cases and gigbags in the corner or back of the closet.

So, I hang my instruments on the walls, and store the cases and bags in the garage. And I am much more likely to play the seldom gigged basses when they are hanging right there next to my favorites.

I am moving this to our Miscellaneous forum.
  10. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    One important thing to remember is to avoid hanging them on walls on the exterior perimeter of the house, and to place them away from any heating/cooling vents. Wyman, I wouldn't hang them on the foudnation walls. The moisture levels could have an adverse effect on anything from wood to electronics.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The only risk I've observed with wall hanging is incorrectly placing the hanger. One of mine had the leftmost screw just into the wall, and not a stud. Luckily, the other two screws were into the stud, so my bass didn't fall (it's a Hercules with the locking thing in the front).
  12. My wall hangers came with special drywall-thread mollys. Those things are SECURE. I prolly don't have a single one in a stud, and they've been fine forever. We're only talking 10 lbs or so resting on a solidly bolted footprint that is dispersing the weight.
  13. I've been wanting to hang my basses on the wall for a long time...is there a step-by-step how-to somewhere on the web? I heard you have to use anchors, etc. and I'm a moron when it comes to handyman stuff...
  14. embellisher

You don't need step by step instructions. All you need is something like this, a Phillips screwdriver and something to make a small hole in the wall. A drill works best, but if the wall is drywall, a screwdriver will work in a pinch.

There are several companies that make these. This one is by String swing.

More info <URL=HTTP: partsalesstands.htm fretnotguitarrepair.com>here.
  15. And they can be had for a whoppin 9 bucks. I have the wood ones, and a couple 3 point metal based ones.
  16. embellisher

I have mostly the metal ones. I like them in white, because they blend in with the walls, and are bulletproof. The wooden ones are sturdy too, but they don't seem as solid as the metal ones.
  17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My only issue is the material that the padding is made from. I just bought a Rumblefish that had hung on a wall-mount for a while and the padding had started to break down, leaving a sticky residue that took some elbow-grease to remove. I have been accumulating the cradle-type of hanger. Now those are cool!
  18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've been hanging my basses on the wall for a little over a year no, with seemingly no ill effects.

For my peace of mind I used a stud finder and screwed them right into the wood. I'm not trusting some 5/8" piece of whatever they make sheet rock from to hold my bass onto the wall. I figure if the stud comes out of the wall, my bass is going to be the least of my problems! :)

Actually after my wife & I finish painting the condo, I'll have most of my basses hanging as well as our 3 saxophones. Heck, maybe they'll actually get played!
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I wouldn't reccomend hanging your bass on a hanger that's screwed into drywall. Mine started to pull out, even though two of the other scews were in a stud. Hence...IMO, putting a hanger into drywall = VERY bad. The only reason my bass didn't slam into the floor was because it was a Hercules one, and thus, locked the bass in when there was any weight pulling down on the hanger.
  20. embellisher

I have never had something that was properly anchored pull out of drywall. I am sure it can happen, but it has never happened to me. I have been hanging stuff with anchors for years.