1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wall Mounting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ROON, Nov 10, 2006.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey,

I didnt know what forum to post this in so I thought i would just whack it in the Misc area! Seeing as my bedroom doesnt have much space, and neither does the rest of my house i want to wall mount my two basses in my room. Problem is, we rent. Do these wall mount/grabber things leave big gaping holes in your wall? Im willing to be a little naughty and leave a few little holes (hell, the whole house has holes everywhere anyway, i doubt they'd notice :smug:). But just to be safe I wanted to ask you guys before going ahead and doing it. Also, are they very stable? I was looking at these Hurcules ones. But feel free to list the type you use. :)

Thanks,
    Josh.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As long as they're put into a stud, they won't leave big gaping holes. If you're absentminded enough to install them where there is no stud and hang a bass on it, you're going to damage your bass, and your wall most likely.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A stud is a 2x4 piece of wood that is the structural element of your wall and is what your drywall is attached to. The frame of the house if you will.

Like these:
    91416640_b5e734e632_m.jpg

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah, I'm not sure that my house even has stud's. May sound weird, but it's hard to explain. I live in a strangely constructed 1980's house mostly made out of corigated iron :eyebrow:

Thanks for your help Tplyons

6. yeah, they use bent sheet metal for studs sometimes too. Wood is the norm for homes in the USA though.

I hang all my basses on the wall.... I use these http://www.smithfast.com/ezanc.htm

*knocks wood*

I haven't had a bass fall yet.

7. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Be careful though , a music store in my town wall mounted all their basses. One morning when they came to the store all basses lay on the floor , all smashed up.

8. I want pics!

9. you sick twisted person!!! how could you look at dead bodies like that!

10. i use the string swing brand of wall mounts, 2 in my room and 3 in our bands practice space, and theyre great, they're sturdy and hold my basses fine...make sure you dont just hang it using the drywall tho, find a stud of some kind...i know you said that your house is made with that iron, but try and find something.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I didn't put mine into studs. We have the drywall screw things. The holes are definately noticable.

In my house my room's curtains were on those things. I took them off and the holes are obviously there. Check if your curtains are in studs or the drywall screws, and if you can, unscrew one and see how big the hole is.

12. yeah i forgot about those drywall screws...theyll leave smaller holes than if you try and hang it without em, but it would be ideal to find a stud.

13. :ninja: