Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wallmart Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by StarMountainKid, Jan 19, 2006.

1. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    Was ready for a new set of round wounds last month, saw saw some First Act strings there for about 10 bucks, so I thought, what the heck. At first I didn't like them, sounded strange to me, not a bad sound, just different. After a while, I guess I got used to the way they sounded, and they started sounding 'normal'. In fact, I became satisfied with them...for $10.

Over the years, I've used about every brand string made, always preferred RotoSound, but for $10 maybe they're worth a try next time you need a set. Going to try them on my LightWave fretless next, see what that's like.

When someone compliments the sound of my bass, I can always say, yeah these Roto's really kick! And put back the $30 or whatever for the Zon I'm saving for. :hyper:

2. deftonesfn

deftonesfn

Oct 1, 2005
    lol nice. My nephew got one of those little first start guitars for christmas and that thing was fun to play with! It was like $20 or something but I was playing it for hours...but then they went back to Ohio...Maybe I'll buy one myself:p

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    The fact that you can't find those strings in a guitar shop should set off some red flags :D. I've used $10 strings and haven't been impressed. They're inconsistent down the fretboard and a little limp right out of the pack. I'd rather buy something decent and hold out a little longer before replacing them.

4. abortivus

abortivus

Jan 20, 2006
    Michigan
    It's possible that 'First Act' is a WalMart brand. If that's the case, you surely won't find them elsewhere. And they'd be repackaged strings from a major manufacturer (who gives WalMart a fat discount for volume buying). Even if it's not a WallyWorld brand, they certainly have the buying power to negotiate sole distributorship. In which case, they're probably still repacked 'brand-name' strings. You pay more for 'identity' than for the product, in most cases.

Any way, StarMountainKid, good luck with the $10 strings. I'm interested to know how they sound on the Lightwave.

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Target is doing the same thing. Distributed by the same Co that distributes Eden:meh: Enjoy.

6. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    Abortivus, I'm going to try them after i epoxy my fretboard. Been experimenting and tho it's a little scarey, think I've learned a good method. Been waiting for dry weather. I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I saw some GHS Boomers at Wal-Mart the last time I was there. $10.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I got some boomers for my acoustic guitar, and they are good

9. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Sears has them too...

10. rustyburrito55

rustyburrito55

Dec 27, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Are you serious that you saw boomers there for $10?!

11. Been buying GHS Bassics at Wal-Mart. I believe Med-Lt, for $12.69, or there abouts. They work well for me!

Bobbo 77'

12. i just go to newberry comics its like a music store chaine around mass. i get great deals on eb strings.

13. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    First Act is a guitar company that has some pretty decent stuff out... not just 'begininer' stuff. http://www.firstact.com/