Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Ok.....You guys may think I am crazy, but I want something fricking loud. I also have heard a lot about Mesa Boogie amps, and a lot of good about their roadready versions...so here it goes.

Here is what I am working on getting...

2- 8x10 (1200 watts a peice)
    2- 4x12 (1200 watts a peice)
    4-2x15 (800 watts a peice)

total of- 8000 watts

If you can picture that, I want each of the larger cabs on top of a 215. I was just wondering how in the hell would I power that, and about how far away could I hear this mother. I am seriously considering it because I want to be known as the bassist with the baddest rig. I play a fender P right now but the Music Man 4 is on the way. I am not worried about money, and if it helps any I play hardcore and punk, a lot of bass-heavy music (as every bassist loves to play). This is an honest question so please tell me if it would sound decent and how I could power it (I was looking at Mesa Boogie 400+ but it couldn't handle all that power).

Thanks you guys, hope to hear some good news so I can start saving/ordering/collecting some amps and cabs.

2. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    pre and dual or more power amp sounds like it would be your best bet..

3. Assuming that you are serious you need to know you cannot use a single head to power all of those cabs. You would need a string of power amps in a rack.

All of us dream of a monster rig but where the hell would you actually use something like this?

4. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    hell? cause thats where everyone in about a block vicinity will want to send you if you actually crank it...

how long have you been playing? do you plan to leave it somewhere because you better have one HELL of a good roadie (or 12) to move that thing

32 speakers... in 8 BIG cabs...

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A. You'll never want to move any of it.

B. You'll never want to store all if it (unless yer name is Tom)

C. You'll either kill yer ears or not want to stand anywhere near it.

D. NO ONE will want to be in a band with you.

E. Good luck finding a stage that big enough for all of that AND the rest of the band.

F. Good luck in not having a sound guy walk out on you.

G. Good luck in being booked in the same club/bar/venue more than once.

6. This is for open air stages, and if I was in a club I would only use half or a quarter of it. I would understand about the string of heads, but how do you do that, and could I do it with Mesa 400+'s? I have a basement for storage (i wouldnt dare play it in my basement, i like my foundation to my house), and my guitarist wants a wall of marshalls, probably a 4x4 setup of half stacks (meaning about a 16 cab wall). Would i need a portable generator or could i run it off a normal outlet?

7. Marshes

Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    H. you would need a couple power conditioners and a hell of a good main.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm going to agree with the other posters and say it's generally not a good idea. Yeah, it'd be very cool to have all that up on stage... but, you'd never need most of it. A single 8x10 will do _any_ gig fine. If you're playing large outdoor shows, let the PA do the work for ya. Actually, you could technically run all that from one head... it's just a matter of impedence matching. Run some cabs in parallel, some in series and eventually after a lot of cussing and maybe a couple fried heads you'd get it. 400W into 8 cabs of that caliber though is insane. And honestly, I don't think you'd get THAT much recognition from it, either. The praticality of it all is extremely low, also. I used to haul 2 2x15s and a 4x12 to my _huge_ gigs... it was for show though, only one cab was ever hooked up.
    I'm not going to tell you to don't do it anymore... if you're set on it, you're set on it. Go out and buy all that stuff. More power to ya, I say. And hey, perhaps I'll get to pick up some cheap gear when 75% of it hits the used market then soonafter ;).

-Ray:D

9. thanks ray, that was pretty cold, but.......

how do wire heads together n such in a rack? and could you put a tube amp with a solid state?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey bro, take no offense from me, it was all said in pure jest.
    As far as powering the cabs... like I said, you can most likely power them all from one head. Lemme think about this...
    If all cabs are 8 ohms, here's what you can do.
    8 cabs, 8 ohms a piece.

Cab 1 + Cab 2 (pair 1) in Series = 16 ohm load
    Cab 3 + Cab 4 (pair 2) in Series = 16 ohm load
    Cab 5 + Cab 6 (pair 3) in Series = 16 ohm load
    Cab 7 + Cab 8 (pair 4) in Series = 16 ohm load

Take pairs 1 and 2, put them in parallel, into output 1 of your amp (8 ohm load).
    Take pairs 3 and 4 and again, put them in parallel into output 2 of your amp (8 ohm load).

The total load the amp will see is 4 ohms. Any amp you want will suffice :).

-Ray

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Don't ask us, we (I) don't believe you're actually going to do it so figuring out precisely how to wire it all to keep the ohm load reasonable is not worth our time.

Instead, ask the salesman when you are buying them. When he gets done doing a happy dance, he will tell you what all you need. Yes it is possible, almost anything is possible with enough money.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Now divide out the wattage to each compliment of speakers and see how far it gets you.

BTW, the 400+ is only a 300w amp on the best of days. I

f you want a big rig, do 2x 8x10 and call it a day. Or better yet, make a bunch of dummy cabs with white vinyl piping, and you've got a cheap wall of Ampegs.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I figured out the entire problem in about 6 minutes :p. No offense, but it's not that difficult, it'll just take some good wiring skills. Let the dude dream, someday he might just surprise us with a rig of doom. We'll all hear it, if he ever does build it.

-Ray

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It wouldn't really matter much, how much each speaker sees. He could go get a 2,500W power amp, a Sans Amp as a pre, and be done. Sure, each individual speaker will see what, 75W give or take, each cab 310Wish? That'd be one heck of a loud rig! You can run a 4x12 off of 50W (and yes, I've done it, for plenty of gigs). Just MO, but I think it can be done, rather easily, and not as expensive as one would think. Cabs, poweramp, preamp, a few cables and combiners made to get the impedence right, and he's set. :).

-Ray

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    :confused:

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well, maybe it's just that I don't like math :)

Seriously though, now are you going to explain how to build series/parallel cables? And running all of that off of one 300w head won't be very impressive. Either a bunch of poweramps or maybe the biggest Crown Macrotech would do it.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Oh, I agree that it can be done...I have no problems with that. But if you're using a 400+ head, which was the one mentioned, and you take that 300w and split it out into the 8 cabs, you're only 37 or so watts per cab. I'd be much happier getting a high power amp, and then pump it into a series of Schroeder cabs...even a series of the big boxes, which are rated over 1000w, and you'd have small and louder than anything and you could fit it in the back of yer SUV.

I personally would save the $$ on the pile of Mesa cabs (my opinion is that you're buying the name) and get a nice custom bass made.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I wouldn't personally use a tube amp for it. Maybe a tube pre, matched with a serious power amp. I don't think I'd want to put any less than about 1kW into it.
    And actually, series/parallel isn't that hard to do. Granted, it's not the usual way of doing things, but a couple of wiring diagrams quickly changes the difficulty of the situation.
    Again, nobody take offense to anything I'm saying. I don't mean to be calling anyone stupid or anything, just don't be telling the kid it can't be done without a string of poweramps, when I believe it can be done with one. Of course, I just very well may be wrong too. We need like Bob Lee to chime in!

-Ray

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I agree with ya there.

-Ray

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Huh? really? thought specs where 500watt tube...