Walmart sells basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Dec 19, 2005.

1. You guys ever see a first act bass at walmart?Better yet anyone ever buy one?
  2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've seen em. They're kinda neat looking really, but I've never been able to play one...I reckon it's a fairly safe bet that they suck, though.
  3. won't say they're great, but cannot say they're terrible.

You like an SX? Pretty close. kinda light, neck was kinda chunky flat, simplistically made, but I picked one up outta the box, and it just wasn't that bad playing-wise.

I guess I found a good one? ;)
  4. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I've never played one of their basses, but a friend of mine had a First Act Strat copy. Horrible instrument. Frets felt awful, sharp edges, several places that buzzed. But the worst thing was the bridge. It was so far from where it should have been, that I couldn't adjust the saddles enough to set the intonation properly.

Now, when I see them in the store, I'm sad for all of the kids who will have their desire to play music stifled by being burdoned with these "instruments".

Nowadays, we have an amazing array of quality entry level instruments to choose from. If you really want to know what entry level instruments were like in the 50's-60's & 70's, pick one of these up. :rollno:
  5. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Are they any better than the ones they sell at Sam Goody?
  6. They've gotta be about 2 steps below SX's...the same instruments have to be sold at Wal Mart, Sam Goody, Toys R Us, all those places...

Again, at least they're more playable than the 50 dollar harmony out of the Sears catalog that I started learning on.

It's merely a "passable" instrument for those that know better.

for soccer moms, it's another check off the xmas list.
  7. Make sure to check out Target too.. Now selling "Lyon Guitars, by Washburn."

8. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    HAHA. i was checking those out. At about $100, it seems like a great bass to carry around Jaco style. That is, no case, and complete lack of TLC for the ax.
  9. It's a great bass to leave lyon around

I love this bass and I'm not lyon

Lyon-el... you big dummy.

OK, I'll stop now. :D
  10. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Not all to keen on the First Act that wallyworld sells but the company has other gear that gets into 4 figures $$. I have noticed that walmart (at least in my town ) is now selling bass, acoustic and electric(gibson brand) strings for around $4. The only other place in town was radio shack @ about $9-$13. So at least in a pinch, one could save a few bucks. I'll still stock up elsewhere however...
  11. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    There's a big First Act outlet about 10 minutes from where I am. They make a huge range of instruments, from $100 junkers to $4000 . . . . junkers. Well, not quite, but they overcharge for fancy inlays and paintjobs. Their basses just aren't very good, no matter what you pay for them.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. While my girlfriend goes through piles of CD's looking for the most obscure broadway soundtracks, I'm usually in back playing these. Almost walked out with a Dean singlecut guitar once. Played nicely, and I've got spare electronics to swap out at home. Coulda made a great guitar.

And the Lyon bass by Washburn ain't bad either. My favorite four string to play at Sam Goody. If you can do minor fretwork, this is a helluva bass for the money. I'd probably throw in Dimarzio's too, but even at that it's a nice solid bass for $240.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't comment on the basses per se, but I was giving guitar lessons to a girl down the street who got a First Act acoustic guitar down the street. The fretwork was awful, I think the guitar was made of cardboard, the tuners were cheap CHEAP plastic and kept slipping, etc. Most awful guitar I ever touched. Even saved a few cents by not putting a strap button on it.

I tought her on my spare Epiphone acoustic that can be had for $99 at Guitar Center. Played like a Martin in comparison to the $50 First Act.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're getting your Norman Lear shows about black people confused, Mon. Sanford and Son was the show where Fred called his son, Lamont, a big dummy, while the Jeffersons featured a son named Lionel, whose father George didn't call him a big dummy, but probably had a lot more reason to call him one.
  15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    When I worked at GC we knew exactly what to do with a first act guitar. We got one in a trade or something and we saved it until the anual guitar toss, which was actually more like a shuffleboard game, see how far you can slide the guitar across the parking lot without going over a specified line.

That's about all I'd recomend using a first act for. It's certainly not for playing.
  16. Oops, You are correct. Let the record show I made an oopsie.

please substitute

Lyon-el, a damn fine model train.
  17. Try an SX instead. Seriously.
  18. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I got one of those First Act jobbies out of the box, just to see how it played.

YUCK!!! The tuners were badly made and slippy, and the neck was like playing on lumber.

If I were to buy an instrument for a kid to learn on, I'd go to the pawn shop and play through a few 'til I found a decent one for a decent price. Far better than buying something that will only frustrate them, like the First Act line.

Walmart's heart is in the right place, wanting to provide musical instruments, but they need to step up the quality some.

I did see where they are carrying strings now, but I play GHS Boomers, and they didn't have those for the bass. Only for the guitar.

19. there are for people who don't know any better. sellers will always prey on the uniformed
  20. DJ88

Dec 9, 2005
    NC US
    My First Bass was a First Act. I had it for around a month and I traded it for an Austin at my local guitar store. He took the trade in and gave me a real deal because I'd been there alot for big purchases in my starting and lessons.
    The first act compared to the Austin I have now was a toy (I read reviews for the first acts naming them for ages "6-12") I was serious and wanted a future with playing so I had to escape from the thing.......and its still hanging on that music stores wall.