Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walnut as bodywood (and Wenge)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, May 23, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What do you think of Walnut as a bodywood for a regular J-bass? How does it sound?
    Would it make a good match to a Wenge neck?:meh:
    And a mm+j pup config?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    [​IMG]

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Man are we grumpy today... :p

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeh, calm down guys.;)
    I did a search but couldn´t find anything about walnut body and wenge neck as a combination.

And I do agree that the arcives has a lot on walnut bodies. A lot of knowledge in there.

5. It's not a question of being calm or not--it's the fact that we just finished a 10-day, 4-page thread on walnut bodies only a few days ago. I expect that most folks who had much to say about them at this point, with or without a wenge neck, probably posted it there.

You also didn't bother to mention if you'd done a search or seen that thread before starting this one.

You're asking for information about a very specific combination, and its quite likely you're going to have to just guess what it would sound like based on what you know about walnut bodies, and about wenge necks...and about bolt-ons, and about whatever pickups you choose, and so forth.

Mike

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It would sound like a regular J-bass! Man, you'd gotta be really on top of your ear, if you'd hear a difference in a blind test. Man...

The maple-alder combination would probably be a trifel more, ehm, "narrow" in its midrange precence, while a wenge neck would open the highs slightly and a walnut body might widen the range to the low end. Slightly, mind you.

However, it would be a nice combination!

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Do a search for Xush's FBB #51, I think it is. It's a walnut body with wenge neck and fingerboard. It's not exactly a Jazz, as it's a neck-through and has 3 Jazz pickups.