1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walnut bass sound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggc, May 3, 2010.

1. ggc

ggc

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi folks!

I've been thinking about ordering a bass from Carvin, and I sure like the looks of walnut!

I've been searching the forum and have seen a lot of beautiful examples of walnut basses...My question is; how do they sound?

From any descriptions I have found about various tonewoods, highs and lows seem to be characteristics of walnut, but what is the midrange like? I'm looking for something that is quite punchy in the mids and will be heard in a mix without masking the rest of the band!

Any information or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Tons of pros use basses with walnut tops, bodies, and wings. Justin Chancellor is one of them. Your bass will not sound like his.

Supposedly, the wood has more of a prominent upper mid-range.

How do they sound? You're buying a Carvin - they supposedly play and sound phenomenal. They get rave reviews on this board, even though my experience with an LB76 was less than spectacular.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I like walnut tops a little better then maple myself. Little bit less treble emphasis and a more throaty dark growl to the mids. Best sounding to me would be mahogany wings with walnut top rather then all walnut wings. Visually walnuts very nice looking too imo. I would suggest getting the 5 peice rather then all maple neck. Cause it'll be sturdier then their maple ones from my experience. Much less likely to run out of truss rod adjustment range needs. Plus itd look great to with the maple/walnut neckthru with mahogany wings and walnut top. If your thinking bolt on version. I'd still suggest getting their 5 peice neck anyway. Cause of sturdyness,

5. ggc

ggc

Jan 13, 2009
    Thanks folks, I appreciate the input! I was considering putting some mahogany into the equation also...Sometimes a lot of options make things difficult!

6. like this?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    depends on how much walnut. tends to be a bit P bassish. My old tobias has an alder body with a huge walnut top. when i called mike t about the bass he said that was his wood combo for a P bass vibe. Lots of lows. however. so many factors go into the sound of a bass it's not really fair to generalize.