1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

walnut bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daniel B, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Daniel B

Daniel B

Apr 13, 2009
    I'm planning to order a warmoth walnut body. I wanna know how a walnut bass will sound like.

2. Deep, dark tone.

3. I have a walnut Precision Special bass that sounds sort of bright, not dark for sure. I put a maple neck on it and that is a great combo. Much better ballance tonewise than the walnut neck and I can get that nice "Takin' it to the Streets" Doobie Brothers tone. I think the neck is where you want to focus most of your attention on overall tone. Walnut will make a nice body but will probably be a little heavy. I will attach a pic of mine. My bass tips the scales at just over 9 pounds.:cool:

Attached Files:

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    You got the deep right. It's dark looking, but not sounding.

Walnut is clear open full and even sounding.

5. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I've got a 4 string warmoth eagle bass and it is bright and the weight is heavy. It even has a good chunk of wood routed out for the tremolo and its still heavy.

I don't think I'd ever go with a solid walnut body again unless I was able to play it before buying.

I do like the bright tone and the neck it has the stainless steel frets as opposed to the nickel/silver. This may add to its 'brightness' I'm not sure.