1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walnut ERB bodies, what's the word?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thinking about my next bass, and I'm remembering fondly some basses I've heard with walnut bodies -- tons of punch and and piano clarity. Adam Nitti's warrior has that classic sound (but I think his site it down right now). Anybody rocking an ERB bass with a walnut body (maybe post of pic?) and tell me what you think!

W

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Mine is a walnut core with a redwood top. The pup is an Aero Q (passive system). It has great tone, good clarity and punch with a hint of rasp/growl, depending where the tone knob is set.

Attached Files:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my fretted 8 string is all walnut, with a walnut and purple heart neck and fingerboard. it sounds ferocious. i dig it.

[​IMG]

4. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    it's post a picture day.

both my 9's have walnut bodies. they sound great. The third image is the back of my pac bass (the top is ziricote).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I think walnut has a sweetness in the upper register unmatched (to my ears) by any other wood. The two examples that most readily come to mind are Matt Garrison's (E-C) and Oteil Burbridge's basses. Very different tonally because of other wood combined with the body, but both have unbelievable clarity and... sweetness in the upper register. That's the only way I can describe it. Sweetness. . . sweetness. . . :bag:

I do not have an ERB with a walnut body yet , but when I have the cash to have a 6 built it will unquestionably have a fat piece of walnut as the body.

6. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Yes, that hint of rasp I mentioned is better described by *sweetness in the upper register.*

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My six-string fretless had a walnut body. Rod B.'s description is pretty right-on-it was deep and punchy with some nice growl in the lower notes. The one downside is that it's usually quite heavy. :(

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hmmm, I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or. . .

9. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Yes, I'm saying your statement created a better word picture.

10. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Let me clarify further. It has a sweet growl. :D

11. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    :cool: here is my LowEnd Jazz bass 7 string.....alder body with flamed walnut top.....not body, but still! I like it...should be here by the end of the month! Cant wait...

12. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    ;)

I was just giving you a hard time. . . walnut is where it's at :bassist:

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm thinking(slightly gassing)of a neck-through with walnut so I can feel the "growl". Peeping the pics on this thread has intensified the gas somewhat! With a bolt-on the walnut "barks" and I like it. Dingwall's now using walnut for half the body, and softer woods for the other half to even out the response I guess, I can't wait to try one of those. This one is all 'nut though..

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Man, I love long scale basses. . . especially the response of the B. I've never tried a Dinger, but seeing some posts here and now knowing that the older ones were walnut bodied doesn't help decrease the bloating pain in my abdomen. :rollno: That's a beaut by the way. . .

15. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    My Carvin is a Claro Walnut top and it's an absolute tone monster

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a picture of the back of my Jerzy... [​IMG]

It's a somewhat compressed sounding bass, on the dark side, with both clarity and warmth (at the same time!:eek::D)

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Carvin has some REALLY impressive claro tops! especially the one that was posted recently on the boards... if I find the pic I'll post it.
    EDIT: [​IMG]
    my next custom / carvin bass would probably be walnut!

18. I think there's still a pic of my wenge topped Conklin 8 on Bill's site, but I love walnut for a body wood when the bass in question is going to be used for an all-around instrument. it's got great fundament and wonderful clarity. I can get bite and roundness out of my tone. perfect!

from the lows,

Stew

19. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Here are two I made, but I don't own them anymore. I was told by the owner they have very nice 'growl'.

The first is oiled claro walnut, the second is stained & lacquered walnut.

Attached Files:

• b8.
      b8.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • b2.
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
  20. very pretty, M A T T!