Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walnut finish on alder body...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Nov 1, 2004.

1. So, I've stripped my Yamaha all nekkid like. Can the walnut finish be applied directly or should I do a few coats of tung oil first?

Merci!

2. I needs your help, dagnabbit!

3. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I stained a mahogany Carvin quitar kit once. After sanding smooth, I stained it with mahogany colored stain. I think I stained it twice to get it the color I wanted. After it dried, I started tung oiling. Put on a coat, let it soak in for 10 minutes or so, wipe off the excess. Let it dry for a day or so, depending on climate. I then steel wooled it with 0000 size and did another coat of tung oil. I put on about 4 or 5 coats, steel wooling between each application. It came out real nice. You might find the stain coming off alittle on the first tung oil application which is good- it was excess anyways. If you access the Carvin web site (Carvin .com) and click on their manuals section you can download their instructions for finishing with tung oil. Have fun!!

4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    How did you strip your Yamaha?

BTW: Stain first, as was said.
    Then tung oil OR use one of the polyethylene finishes.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    This is a walnut satin finish on alder. The flash of the camera makes it look a little different, but maybe it will help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Looks good Brian. Alder gets a bad rap if you ask me. Someone thought my bass was walnut, it's alder with an oil stain. heh, heh.

Also, try ScotchBrite pads instead. It's very difficult to get all the steel wool dust out (unless you use a magnet) and it will accumulate around pickups later on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]