Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walnut in necks.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by popinfresh, May 25, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, for my TB i've got Mahogany and Walnut. After cutting out the body wings i've got spare Mahogany bits that are long enough and would be wide enough to make a couple strips, say, 1/2-3/4" wide, each.

I was going to use only the Walnut for the neck unless someone tells me not to. But was wondering if it will be better to cut the walnut up and glue the mahogany/walnut bits together, or to leave it as one Walnut peice for the neck?

Thanks.

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I like multi laminate necks myself, but what would be really cool is if you used a few laminates of mahogany AND walnut. Personally,i think the dark walnut with the red mahogany color for accents would look spiffy, and probably sound nice as well.

it's your call though. can't see any problem either way

3. I'd certainly leave the mahogany out of the neck. Here's my thinking: First, though it's been used as a neck and body wood by Gibson for ages, when have you played a mahogany necked bass you liked? I never have. Second. There is so little of this mahogany used that any sonic gain you were looking for just won't be there. It would only be a visual accent. Third, The visual contrast between the walnut and mahogany is minimal. Sure they are different colors but when you put on any amber tinted finish (oil, shellac, etc.), the walnut will get warmer (redder) and much closer to the mahogany in color. They will still be distinguishable from each other but not in a standout way. And mahogany isn't going to add anything to the stiffness or stability of the neck - even less in those quantities.

On my first attempt at a neck, I ripped the flatsawn stock I had and stacked it on end to re-orient the grain in a vertical direction. That made my own "quartersawn" stock. I made 5 pieces so that I was sure to have the trussrod slot completely contained within a single piece of wood rather than straddling a glue line. I just imagined that this would be a stronger way of doing it. You might try this to maximize the potential of your walnut.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Each to his own I like Mahogany in a neck. :eyebrow:

:D .....t

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, well i'll see how I go. So using one peice of the walnut wouldn't be a bad thing for the neck? It'd be easier, as there would be no glueing etc and it is my first bass, but if it won't work, then i'l do something else.

Also, using a P/J setup in the TB with the mahogany/walnut body and neck, would I be able to get a nice warm growling tone (Think almost Tim C from Rage/Audioslave)? I'm not sure what I should go with for pickups, but I was thinking Nordstrand's or something of the like. Would I be better off with a J/J setup?

6. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    same here.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Just ran into a pile of 8'-12' strips of Walnut. :hyper: A Neck making we will go :D Anything special we should know about usint it for necks?