1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walnut or ash body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Serafim, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Serafim

Serafim

Nov 15, 2009
    I am builting my own mtd bass right now and i would like to know what would be the characteristics of a walnut body and what of an ash body.

Thanks

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    building your own MTD bass?

3. He either means he's specing out a custom from them, or building himself an MTD-like bass.... I assume.

4. Serafim

Serafim

Nov 15, 2009
    mike is building a MTD bass for me
    535 specifically

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Talk to Mike - he is an incredible source of knowledge and information about woods, and about how they work in his instruments.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd recommend ash, only because I've never played a bass with a walnut body that weighed less than a metric ton.

Unless you've got a VERY specific tone in mind, or Mike has some crazy light walnut, I'd take ash without a second thought.

7. Serafim

Serafim

Nov 15, 2009
    i really don't know because i want my bass to have a really dark and warm sound

8. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    + 1 to talking to Mike, but I'd say if that's what you're going for, I'd definately avoid ash. It's pretty bright and snappy.

I'd consider mahogany or alder for warm and dark.

9. Serafim

Serafim

Nov 15, 2009
    basically i love the sound of walnut
    so i am going for it

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Good choice! I love walnut. Sounds amazing acoustically...very warm and crisp.

Also, claro walnut is pretty light, the trees grow fast.
    American Black walnut is where the heaviness comes in. At least this has been my experience.

11. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Harrisburg PA and Washington DC
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I recently built a Walnut bass. The sound is great, very snappy. I would warn you however that walnut tends to be a good bit heavier than ash, so if weight is a concern, you might take that into consideration. I would call Warmoth and talk to them, they will let you know about the weight issue.

I actually wish I had done an ash or alder body with a walnut veneer on front because this walnut bass for all its wonderful sounds weighs a ton. I may yet switch to a walnut veneered body.

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I love walnut. My walnut bass isn't heavy, but it has a small body. On a larger body, heaviness is a risk for sure. Mine has an extended low end, but I'm not sure what's the result of the pickups, etc. Based on your preferences, I don't think I'd go for ash.

13. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Black walnut, yes?

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Then you want to avoid Walnut. Walnut leans towards the brighter tones. If you want dark and warm I'd suggest Mahogany, Indian Rosewood, or Korina.

15. Serafim

Serafim

Nov 15, 2009
    basically the walnut is going to be presentation grade walnut

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I have a walnut and purpleheart Tobias (made by Mike). I would not call it bright - not as dark as mahogany, maybe, but definitely richer with overtones than ash.
    It has a beautiful, warm, complex and rich sound.

17. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    walnut for sure.

18. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    McKinney, TX
  19. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    [​IMG]

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020