Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walnut Wonder or " Brown Sugar Arrives"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Oct 2, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, heres she is - arrived today- Im extremely happy- she plays fantastic ( wow, what a surprise!!:rolleyes: ) and sounds great!
    initial observations : it maintains a very hi fi sound but the alder is a bit warmer than the ash - could be that this is Mike's finish as opposed to lacquered - like my last 635 , i have to be extra careful of dings, however- it feels a little exposed especially since i am used the lacquered finishes again. The alder brings out more warmth when i pan towards the bridge pickup for that Jacoish punch as well, which im diggin a lot. like always, love the feel of the wenge neck - i have always been and continue to be one of Mike's biggest fans- Thanks Mike for another wonderful bass - she makes her debut tonight at the Blue Note -
    Soul Music Tribute - Brown Sugar - kinda makes me wanna rent a Pam Grier movie-
    [​IMG]

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    another shot..
    [​IMG]

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's OK I guess...

:D ;) :p

4. Righteous, as usual. MTDs really are beautiful, and that walnut is great. I have to play a wenge neck, haven't tried one, but from what I hear, I had better.

Geoff

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    stunning....

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Really gorgeous!

How's that Roscoe coming along? :D

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nah, wenge sucks.

Har!:D

Nice bass, Adrian.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Very nice.

9. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    It's an absolute beauty, A...

makes my G.A.S. even stronger!:)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He's a "magician" with wood......how in the world you find and match up that walnut which swirls back towards the butt of the bass and which also goes in a totally different pattern on the horns - up towards the headstock - is beyond my comprehension even if more than one board was used!!! That is "art"!!!

I would guess that is some pretty ancient walnut, too.

Absolutely gorgeous, Adrian!!!

(Now, if we could just get some of these talented, high-priced, people to make wooden pup covers and knobs instead of those plastic/rubbery "things"......:D ).

One question, AG - on the butt, back from the G string, I notice a little "dimple" or inclusion. Is that where your input jack is??? (I like mine on the butt and out of the damn way).

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    schtunning dear boy!

one observation...

that was pretty quick delivery! what was the total time bench to door on that baby?

f

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    exactly- the output jack is at an angle - that is the indentation you see- thanks for the kind words, guys!!

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i dont wanna talk about that!!:eek:
    actually- Mike was very fast on this one- im surpirsed it took this long for anyone to notice- he owed me for keeping me waiting 10 months last time!!:mad: :)
    i guess he really just wanted me out of his hair- but it was very pleasanly quick- the benefits of being a notorius endorser:rolleyes:

14. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Well, if it's anything like Fodera, you pay around $300 extra and get that puppy in 3 weeks, right ? :D
    Plus, the AJ model doesn't even have electronics, so you could easily knock off another week or two.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    VERY nice. Maybe one of my favorite walnut tops that I've seen.

Coincidentally I was just looking at your page about the building of this bass only an hour or two before you posted this! I was wondering if it was done yet. Congrats!!

One question - I noticed that for your Roscoe and this bass you found a piece of wood and then sent it to them to build a bass. What do you just spot this stuff while your out hiking and think "Hey! That would make a nice bass!" or do you normally just go shopping at the exotic wood stores on weekends? Either way you need to stop finding such beautiful pieces of wood before you go bankrupt!! :) You can send the next find to me.

brad cook

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    YeAh !! ThAT's wHaT HapPeNed!! I pAiD ExTrA aNd GoT iT In 3 DaYs!! CuZ' iGoT'z It lIkE tHaT!!!
    hiking, finding woods, in Las Vegas? Nevada? the Desert??:confused:

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Doh! :rolleyes:

Next project, the SAND BASS!

brad cook

18. Very, very nice!

(The fretboard looks like ebony)

:D

19. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Mike got this to you extra quick to take your mind off of F Basses.;)

20. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Mike does it again!

Congratulations and play her in good health.