Walter Becker: Steely Dan Co-Founder’s Guitars, Sound Equipment Head to Auction

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

A collection of music gear belonging to Walter Becker, the late co-founder, guitarist and co-songwriter of Steely Dan, will be up for sale via Julien’s Auctions during a two-day event on October 18th and 19th. The auction — featuring guitars, sound equipment, recording gear and more — will be held at the Standard Oil Building in Beverly Hills, California, and live online at the Julien’s website.

The auction includes Becker’s 1957 Fender Duo-Sonic guitar featured in the liner photographs to Steely Dan’s seminal 1977 album, Aja, along with his Signature Model #1 Sadowsky, Bacon & Day Senorita S.6 Model and 1936 D’Angelico Excel and other guitars and bass guitars estimated between $3,000 and $15,000. In addition to instruments, the auction will also include amplifiers, speaker cabinets and recording gear.

Walter play most if not all the bass on their first two or three albums and also played selections on most of the rest of them.

Walter Becker: Steely Dan Co-Founder’s Guitars, Sound Equipment Head to Auction

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    kobass likes this.
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I wonder if the lot includes that cool hybrid J/P/J he was playing in '73.

3. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I like that, never saw it before, did he also play a Ric at times, on one of the earlier albums there's a picture of him with what looks like the end of a Rickenbacker, I play along with their stuff and my Ric (4001) sounds just like some of the early stuff. Nice SVT behind him in that picture too.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...here's the other one they performed that night (which I recall seeing back in the '70s)-

Denny Dias is really impressive. Economy of motion personified.

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Any other band would have been stoked with just Dias as their guitarist, I loved his playing.

bobyoung53, kobass and Haroldo like this.
  6. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Lotta good stuff there, wouldn't mind the kwai and Marshall amp.

7. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Dude has some very cool stuff! Some of those estimates seem wildly conservative... I wonder how much commission does the auctioneer tack on top?

jerry likes this.
  8. burningyen

burningyen

Sep 17, 2003
    CT
    25%

mikewalker likes this.
  9. It still hurts to think that 1/2 of the original Steely Dan is gone.

LBS-bass and garp like this.
  10. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yeah, those prices seem really fair to me.

11. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Yeah, it certainly does. But I take some comfort in knowing this auction is either what he wanted or what the family/estate wants. This is the one that I'd like to own (Lot #773):

WB-Sadowsky.jpg

dafunky1 likes this.