Walter Wood Upgrade to Ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonathan Starr, Jul 15, 2004.

1. I'm awaiting the Fedex truck to deliver my new blue light Ultra from Walter Woods.

I phoned him last week and left a message to enquire about order time for an Ultra to replace my trusty Amber. He called me back and said he had some Ultras on the shelf and now a nice new one is on the way to me, and my fine Amber amp is sold and all is good in the world.

Now to find some larger gigs to use all that power...

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York

Good luck with the new WW. I use my Ultra a lot. The lite weight package and power combination is a tough one to beat.
  3. Jonathan, Congragats, you'll love it. I'm amazed all the time with mine. It works well with all my cabs but is just amazing with my mini Bergies Ht/Ex.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. Same here. I'm also using it with the EX112 alone and my EUB as my main jazz rig these days. It's become the only amp I ever take out, regardless of the gig! The HT/EX mini-stack and WWU is my absolute favorite rig that loves my back. :cool:
  5. thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    Right on. Walter's stuff is about as innovative as it gets. Only now are companies effectively using similar technologies to his...after how many years? :)
  6. I've been primarily using the Amber with my HT112 and adding the EX112 when I need more. This will probably extend the range of stuff I can do with the mini stack.

Last night I was practicing in my studio and I pulled out the Amber one last time before packing it up to ship to the new owner. I plugged it into my Bergie NV 215 and it sounded so big and fine. I bet the Ultra will power that big box very nicely.

7. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    You should give me a call sometime, you can bring your cab's up to my shop and play around..
  8. Jon, my NV610 sounds great with my Ultra! I really want to try the NV215 because it's there... I'm a hopless gear whore.
  9. Does Walter Woods have a website? I did a search on Google and nothing came up.
  10. Jim, No Mr. Woods must be contacted directly. I'll PM you.
  11. all of this talk is making me drool!
    I have the WW amber, which I love but I am now thinking I need to get rid of my ampeg 4x10 and 1x15 and get som bergs!.... just when I get my credit card down, G.A.S. keeps bringing it up! :rollno:
  12. Spliff - the WWU will make just about any cab sound great if you're looking for that sound. I can testify that the Bergs will suprise the heck out of you. I crack up everytime I look back and see that little setup and how much tone and volume it produces. Massive. It's not the "do all" rig but I use mine 95% of the gigs. Don't think you'll blow a 4x10 + 1x15 away, but you WILL be amazed.
  13. amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    OK Johnathan you've got me interested..{GAS..}.I use a WW stereo w 2 Epifani 1x12 :D and like the sound.Is the tone enhanced w/ the much more power?
  14. I'm still waiting for the Ultra; it should be in my hands Monday morning.

As Walter told my wife the other day when he called with the tracking number, "If he likes the old one, he'll love this one cause it's twice as much of exactly the same stuff."

Now she doesn't particularly like loud, but I'm lucky that she's a great sport about this stuff and she understood it better when I showed her the 6U rack and reminded her of the times she helped me carry it around.

That Kern and PLX 3002 and the NV-215 is the best sounding (and feeling) stuff I've ever played through, but the HT-112/EX-112 & WW mini stack is pretty darn close.

15. amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    :D please let me know how it sounds ... SAM :hyper: :hyper:
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  17. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I got a used WW Ultra a few months back and absolutely LOVE IT....I couldn't imagine my sound without it now, BUT....
    I've called Walter at least 8 times. I know he doesn't pick up the phone much, but he doesn't return calls! I heard that there is an owner's manual or instruction sheet that originally comes with a new amp, and I'm hoping anyone who has bought a new one from WW would shed some light on any of you have one that you could photocopy for me? I'd pay for the copies and shipping if someone here could help a fellow WW Ultra owner out!
  18. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you have a fax # I can fax it to you. If you don't, check out and look for the free sign up page.
  19. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Check your private messages for my fax #.