1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walter Woods @ 2 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Raywatt, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Raywatt

Raywatt

Oct 29, 2007
    Does anyone out there run their Woods at 2 ohms?
    I have a friend who's into Acoustic Image Amps and cabs. He's got two 4 ohm AI cabs that I would like to try together as I like the sound of them and their small. I've only hooked up one for fear of blowing up Woods and Walter states right in warrenty do not run at below 4 ohms (2 ohms two AI 4ohm cabs)
    Anyone know why a Woods can not be run at @ 2ohms and if it will damage his amps(especially the hi power) or is it just a precautionary measure as 2 ohms makes amps work so much harder and hotter. All my bud's AI heads are designed to run @ 2 ohms!

I've had my Walter Woods Hi Power for a few months now and really enjoy it. Coming from an SVT, at first I missed the tube tone, but the amp really makes up for it in articulation, power and the biggy.....boat anchor weight. So much so I had to clean up my playing a bit as my inconsistencies were not hidden in the tube flub. But I do still like the warmth of the SVT and I'll never sell it or use it for an boat anchor. Now if someone made a light weight amp that did both, but I'm thinking thats an oxymoron!
    Thanks to all who replied to my last thread on DI-ing and settings. I don't get here often,but it's a wealth of info when I do.
    Thanks, Steve

2. That's a BIG no-no with the Walter. Walter clearly states that his amps are 4ohm minimum. Don't do it!

While it is still not safe for 2ohm operation, the new Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 is more powerful and punchier than the Walter (even the 1200 Ultra), and has a tube in the pre, which will give you the warmth you are looking for. And, it costs a fraction of the price of the Walter. The Markbass LMII (all SS, but a warm sounding class A/B design) is voiced kind of halfway in between, and is also punchier than the Walter.

The new series of 'micro amps' but Markbass and Genz Benz are really something, and the Markbass F1 (clean, tight, and VERY punchy, and very small and light) resulted in my finally selling my WW Ultra after many years of using one Walter Woods or the other.