Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods amp class

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabass6, Jul 1, 2005.

1. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Are them a switching power supply amp and a conventional (AB?) power amp, a class D power amp or something else?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Conventional amplifier (AB, I believe) with a switching power supply.

Tom.

3. That's my understanding also, don't know for sure. From many discussions about my Crown K1, which I think is the opposite, conventional power supply with class D amp.

Randy

4. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Ok, thank you.
    There was a little debate here about it.

5. If you want an interesting answer to your question, try calling Walter sometime, and ask him how his amps work (or how do they produce so much output with so little weight, basically.) :p

I've done that! One would conclude it was either voodoo or a family heritage bbq sauce inside.

I liked Tombowlus' answer better.

6. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    Hallo, I'm from Italia, so calling Walter is not a great option.
    And, being an AI Focus user, I know power and lightweight can go together, sometimes.
    I did this question because in a local forum there has been a thread about lightweight vs. normal amps, and someone stated that WW amps are class D
    I was sure they aren't, so I asked to know if I was wrong.
    Thank you for help me improve my ego :D :D :D

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Calling Walter really is a great experience! He is a great guy to talk to. The first thirty or forty seconds, he is figuring out whether or not he wants to talk to you (to make sure you're not a telemarketer, or someone who has no intention of owning one of his amps, and just wants to waste his time). But once he figures out that you are a "true believer", he'll talk your ear off! :D

In fact, his overall mentality about how he makes his product (as good as he can make it - no short cuts), how he views the majority of other manufacturers (many short cuts, and not just bass gear), and how he goes about his business (this is my way of doing it, I'm proud of how I do my job, and I really don't care what anyone else besides the customer thinks of that) all remind me strongly of Jim Bergantino. Those two should really have a conversation one of these days...

Tom.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't see how the Ultra High Power can be that light and powerful without using Class D topology and a switch-mode power supply.

Alex

9. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've always suspected that the wattage ratings on Walter Woods amps are way overstated. I might be wrong, but it seems to me the laws of physics are pretty compelling. Does woods have some magic secret that no other person among the thousands and thousands of people doing electronics don't have? I doubt it. Why does no one else make a similar amp? You'd think some creepy outfit like Behringer would have opened one up and reverse engineered it? His amp designs predate Class D digital amps, which are the big tech breakthrough of the last 20 years and probably the wave of the future. I don't doubt the Woods amps sound great and are extremely well made. i just think as advertised they violate the laws of physics

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If you ever played through one you'd realize the rating is not overstated. In fact, it will make you wonder about others ratings! I took an Eden WT400, a SWR SM400S, and an EA iAmp 350 and A/B them on a gig(different nights in the same room) with my WW Hi Power(300 watts @ 8 ohms) and the Woods SMOKED them! Now that I have the Ultra, power is never a concern. Just got rid of a AI Focus and I must say that amp is definitely overstated.

11. I bet they could make a pretty good combo amp together, pretty expensive too id recon :p

12. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Doesn't he print the schematic inside the box? Or did in the past?

I've also wondered why there aren't any WW clones since you can't patent or copyright a circuit.

I'm ready to believe it's some kind of magic after watching a bass player with a WW and a single Bergantino 1x12 fill a large room with hundreds of people.

13. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I think he used to do that on the older ones. The newer amps (at least my Ultra) don't have it.

Mine is pretty dang loud - I'd be suprised if it were less wattage than Walter says it is. He seems like a pretty knowledgable and honest guy to me.

14. New behringer amp coming out this year you say? :scowl:

*could happen*

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    He hasn't given a schematic since his original Mini Amp in the 1970's. Call it magic or just pure genius, but my WW/Berg combo is the the best rig I've had big or small.

16. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    You can't patent a cicuit, but you can patent a technology. If you go to the U.S. Patent and Trademark office online, and do a search for "Woods" as the patent holder, you'll see. I've been there and seen it for myself.
    Class D circuitry has been around FAR longer than 20 years. If I recall, it's like 50!
    Corey

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Let me also say that in my experience, Walter's power output ratings sound honest to my ears. I was doubtful, too, until I heard one.

Tom.

19. From my understanding, Walter used a switching power supply and an analog (linear) amp for many years, but now uses a switching power supply and a 'class D' (commonly called digital) amp.

As far as power rating, I've owned various Walter heads for many, many years and have AB'd them with about everything out there. They do get really loud, and sound great, but there is something about them that doesn't quite put out the low end that some might need for funk or rock playing. I know some on this site disagree, and that's fine, but if you compare the 1200 watt WW low end punch to, for example, and Eden 800, it's really not even close (I'm not talking flat here, but using the tone controls to get your 'best' sound). It almost seems that the Walter's 'roll off' a little bit down below 100hz. WW do fine for 90% of my gigs, but if I'm playing a full-blown funk gig, for example, at very high volume, it's not the best head for that. They are great heads, and I've spent many hours on the phone with Walter over the years (he agrees with the low end issue, by the way... he says that's not really what his amps are designed for).

20. PS... one of the things Walter turned me on to is using the post send volume control to fatten the sound a little bit. It's pretty strange, and Walter doesn't even quite know why it works (or he's not sharing!), but if you turn that control all the way up (without anything in the effect loop), it does fatten the bottom up a little bit in a very different way than his bass control does. I pretty much always leave that control wide open. Cool!