Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Jan 9, 2004.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Any people can please tell me how come those Walter Woods amps can charge so much except they are all hand-made and make to order. What do they sounds? I really want to know . Because I have seen some used Walter Woods amps M-300 even costs 2000USD. I can get a brand new SWR SM-900 on this price range already. I would like to know some current Walter Woods users's comment as well. Thanks! :)
    Between, I always seen some Fodera Players use Walter Woods amp. Any "chemical reaction" between Fodera and Walter Foods? :D

2. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Portability is a big plus - the M-300 weighs about 7 lb - or about 20 lb less than the SM-900. The WW amps seem to be especially popular with those who double on URB. I suspect the tone must be appealing (though that is subjective) as well, otherwise WW would be out of business.

As you noted, hand-built adds to the price - and let's face it, this is a low-volume boutique amp - supply and demand will always dictate the price more than anything, and it sounds as if he has no problem selling them as fast as he builds them. I'd also bet that there are few compromises on the quality of the components used. I have also heard that the WW service is outstanding if you have problems down the road.

Here is a link I found with a little more info (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.doublebassguide.com/4_amps.html

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Reason #1: the amp is about the size of a hardcover book, weighs 7 pounds; there is no smaller or lighter amp of similar wattage available, period.

Reason #2: true two channel operation, two inputs each have their own volume and EQ settings; this is great for players (like me) who use two basses on most gigs.

Reason #3: With the EQ totally flat they don't sound much different than many other good amps like SWR, Eden, etc. but Walter's EQ is tuned better, especially for upright bass.

The price is similar to LIST prices of other amplifiers of similar wattage. The WW High-Power (450 watts) is $1600, an SWR SM-500 (500 watts) is $1600 list. The WW Ultra (1200 watts) is $2200, the SWR SM-900 (900 watts) is $2400 list. You may never have to pay list for an SWR, but at an average disocunt of 30% that only makes WW 30% more, not at all out of line for a handmade amplifier.

4. I've owned SWR and WW amps of similar output (PB-200 and MI-100). While the SWR had a greater real-world output and a much more flexible EQ, the WW sounded better without having to use drastic EQ settings. That's not to mention the fact a company the size of SWR simply could not hand-test every component that goes into every amp, as Woods is said to do.
    And, as others have mentioned, it was small enough to be toted around in the accessory compartment of a Targus laptop computer bag.

5. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the WW head sounds great.

it's also like 8 lbs. i carry mine to gigs over my sholder in a laptop bag.

oh yeah, and 1200w.

so it's got some headroom.

check out the link in my sig for photos!

- Cowboy

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    1. Sounds great.

2. 7 pounds, can't beat that.

3. EQ's like a dream. My F bass has the same kind of chemical reaction with the WW as the Fodera you mentioned.

4. Lots of protective circuitry, almost impossible to kill.

5. Looks really cool on stage! (People keep asking, where's your amp?)

6. Excellent in the recording studio too. The WW line out is "absolutely faithful", it's one of the best line out's I've ever heard in any amp anywhere anytime. Not like an SWR.

I used to own SWR gear (many moons ago), there's just no comparison between that and a Walter Woods. It's like apples and oranges.

SWR is "pretty good" production gear. It delivers plenty of power, it's got good EQ, and it's usually pretty easy to dial up a good sound (other than that wierd treble thing they have going, also the same applies to their cabs with tweeters, I just don't dig that un-natural high end).

But the WW is a real treat. Try it, you'll like it.

Also, a note in passing, used WW's sell for very close to the list price on eBay. That should tell you something.

You'll be lucky to get 50% on a used SWR.

7. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Thanks for all your reply, WW Amp seems got a lot of advantages. Any sounds samples available? :)