Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Futurebass, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Has anyone out there used a Walter Woods Amp? How do they compare to the other more commercial brands (GK, Trace, SWR, Eden, etc.)? I need an amp that sounds good for both acoustic and electric work. Thanks.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can afford it than there isn't a better amp. Do a search. There's a lot of happy customers around here.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm astonished that your search here didn't turn anything up. I just got an Ultra from nonsqtr, and it fairly rules. It compares very favorably with the Eden WT-880 and Aguilar DB 750, but they're all different from each other. Walter designed it for use with both electric and acoustic instruments, hence the name "Electracoustic." Here's the definitive review on it.

The amplifier for the various musical instrument overflows in the actual market. Those choices are wide at first glance to those which require large output for guitar and such as PA system from the one for base the sea urchin it is visible. But the many of them the circuit (the tone circuit) are installed in the one for respective intended musical instrument, whoever uses and the kindness that (? most same sounds come out) The design is done. It starts using and the same sound as everyone is satisfied makes simply, but performance technology of that person is included and capability if as a musician extends, in the extent your own sound which comes it keeps becoming severe. Until now if such as delicate sound balance you think of your own place tile seriously and the picking nuance where does not perceive, original sound of your own musical instrument, you rephrase, it reaches the point where. With the sound which that time is controlled in the tone circuit inside the amplifier as for becoming frustration it is clear.

As for the Walter woods there is many a thing which is acknowledged in Japan as the " based amplifier ", is, but it is used widely the amplifier of the acoustic musical instrument, the piano, guitar and the wood base really (the amplifier) as. Especially, jazz musician such as check Korea which seeks pure tone continues to use the Walter woods over long time. Why the Walter woods probably are to be pure sound? Because that the signal which is sent from the musical instrument (sound) does not process the Walter woods unreasonably (in the tone circuit and the like), is. In the same way there was " the クセ of the Walter woods " by the tone circuit and the like, if is, this much the wide musical instrument it probably is impossible to follow. If and the frequency zone which in the wood base and the electricity base reaches in the ear is limited narrowly in the piano and is emphasized very pure sound it becomes unable to say.

SM-225 STEREO

Pulse power source corresponds was adopted (the transistor amplifier cannot think also the sound which has magnanimity) as for strongly warm sound, when the ウッディ from kind sound in the electric base deciding the slap metal sound, and the acoustic piano being complicated, as for the Walter woods 100%. The amplifier which expresses characteristic of that musical instrument to straight, this is the amplifier in true sense and is largest feature of the Walter woods.

As a feature of sound making of the Walter woods, there is a BALANCE and VARI control. " BALANCE " control interferes to the variable range of the BASS and the TREBLE, " VARI " control interferes to the variable range of the MIDD. In case of the Walter woods standard value of each control (flat the sound quality) entirely they are in the 0 positions. When tone control is necessary with the respective environment which is used, each control " + " " - " either one is set to 1 - 2 graduations.

Ultra Smooth and Unprecedented Control of LOWS, MIDDS & HIGHS

After that the Low is not enough, or when it seems that the High is too strong when " BALANCE " on LOEND side, already we would like to make conversely a little bright, it shakes on HIEND side. When and we would like to revise mid range already a little, " the VARI " is shaken in LOMID or HIMID either one. Tone control when it makes extreme setting, becomes cause of noise. Especially " the TREBLE ", " The MIDD " the influence is remarkable. Because it is made major premise that as for this in the first place " it cannot play back the sound which is not outputted with the musical instrument itself ", is. Because of that because with the Walter woods, it designates that the sufficient harmonic overtone component is included the input signal in (the musical instrument and the like) as prerequisite, also reference level of control is set to zero positions, (you can call the gentlest sound of that musical instrument in state of zero positions). Minimum being variable and with these two controls, in order tone to be able to control, it is designed. Size and the sound quality which are settled in the gig bag the Walter woods which are compatible the world being the case that the musician who is active to can recommend to someone, it is the genuine amplifier which is selected with intention of the self even when without.

4. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Yeah, I read the stuff that's already on Talkbass about it and I know people like them. I was just looking for comparisons with other amps. Particularly if they sound better, or if it's mainly the size/weight factor that people like.

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I wouldn't say they sound better, necessarily. When you get into amps of that caliber, it becomes primarily a matter of personal taste. Let's just say that none of my other amps (see profile) sound better than the WW. With 800 watts into 8 ohms and 1200 into 4, there is tons of headroom, and that little mowfk is LOUD. The tone is likewise superb and very versatile. The amp's reputation goes far beyond the size/weight issue.

7. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    1. Best/Better sounding? Strictly in the eyes, ears, hands, fingers, speaker cab being used, bass, speaker cords, effects/eq's, strings etc. etc. of the player. Nothing more than an opinion based on a lotta subjective factors.

2. Compare sound to others? There's a little more objectivity here...people tend to "like" or "love" the WW's more than not....but I can reasonably state that the other factors mentioned above have more influence on one's total overall tone than whether you're using a WW, Focus, EA, Epifani, Aguilar, Eden, or SWR or a preamp/poweramp arrangement although Munji is correct that they all sound different.

What's not subjective: powerful, lightweight, expensive. No matter what head I use, I have to "precolor" it's tone with the active preamp on my bass and a graphic EQ between the bass and the amp to get the tone I want....this is based on owning literally 12 different brands of amplification over the past 40 years. So for me, again, others will disagree, I want to get an amp that's light (under 20, preferrably 15 or less pounds), that's got at least 500 to 600 watts, that is mainstream market priced which, again IMO, between $600 to $1200.

So the age old question....Is a WW Electracoustic worth $2600+ and 600 extra watts (400 on the new Focus III's coming out) to me when I can meet all my needs with a $1000 Focus and a used $100 Dod EQ? Is it $1600 "better" to me when I feel that my bass and EQ's tone controls and speaker cabinet have 100% more to do with my live sound than the preamp/poweramp do? IMO....no way. Just like I don't feel that an NYC Sadowsky 5 is worth $1000 more than my Mike Lull....but that's just my opinion.

I realize that's not what you're asking us....but maybe you ought to be adding some objectivity to your thought process here. There are a huge, long list of endorcers on literally every major brand of bass amp made. It just so happens that the WW 1200 watter version is one of the most expensive solid state amps available. For my moolah, I'd rather get an AI Focus III combined with an SA poweramp, have 1600 watts and 2 4 ohm load capability available in about an 8.5 pound package, (get the two channel one if that's important for a hundred or two more), and still save yourself $500-750. Find a Focus 600 and original SA poweramp and save yourself $1000-1200 with what I feel will give you just as much chance for the tone you want as anything else out there.

Have fun. The WW's I've heard have all sounded great. They were all in the hands of excellent players, with excellent basses and speaker cabs. Which came first,,,chicken egg, or bass?

L

8. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks for the input Larry. I basically run my amps flat and flat EQ on my active basses and volume and tone all the way up on my passives. I guess I don't color the sound very much. So I'd like to have an amp that sounds great without much radical EQ. Problem with WW is that you can't just walk into a music store and try one. It's a pretty big investment sight unseen, or unheard.

Of course you're right about good players getting a good sound. I tour all the time and have to use rented backline most of the time. In the past this could be a nightmare, what with Peavey Combos and funky Ampeg SVT's (great amp sometimes but too much variance). Nowadays I'm happy with the sound of all of them, GK (not the new one though), Eden, Trace, SWR, Hardtke. My preferences are based more on ergonomics than sound because I think they all get a good sound. However if the Woods sounds better and is portable enough to take on the road, I would have a consistent head and the cabs would be the only variable. I'm just trying to gauge whether it's worth the investment or if I'll be fine continuing to use rented heads all the time.

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I get the impression from your post that you've never owned a Walter Woods. Although you have a very valid point about how every point in the signal has a factor, in my opinion the AI Focus and Walter Woods Ultra are no where close to being comparable in power or tone. I used both through different basses and a number of high end cabs and the WW is the CLEAR winner every time! And just for the record for those who will say that the Woods is twice the power, I get the same results using the WW Super(650 watts) which would be comparable to the power of the Focus. I find the 600 watt power rating of the Focus to be VERY overrated. I A/B'd on a gig the Focus and a SWR Electric Blue(160 watts) and the SWR blew the pants off the Focus and sounded better too!

If you need the portability, power, great tone, and 2 channels for DB and electric, and don't mind spending $2300(not $2600) the WW is the clear winner!

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    All things considered (and there are a number of things to consider), my Walter Woods Ultra is my favorite amp. Although I enjoy using EA amps and I have a couple of very good rack systems, nothing works for me like the WW with the Bergantino mini-stack of HT112/EX112. And yes, it's very easy to load-in/out.

It also sounds great set pretty much flat (which is what I typically do). And it works really well with EB, EUB or DB. To me, it's worth every penny.

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've got one and it's a great head in terms of power, flexibility and portability. It's a lifesaver if you play two basses at a gig (i.e. fretted/fretless) and you like to keep load-in/load-out to a minimum. That head and an ultra light cab is my idea of an easy gig!

12. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I hopefully will one day and maybe it won't need to be a 1200 watter, making the costing comparison a little less of a factor. However, I have played 2 gigs with one where the bass player was using a 450? watter with an Epifani 112 cab and the other was using the 1200 watter with 2 Acme 210 cabs. Like I said I thought they sounded excellent "with the other guy playing" and very good with me playing his bass.
    As I've admitted several times here, I haven't found an amp yet that I like "naked", its own tone with no outboard eq in over 15 years. It's just me, I know it.

Since my emphasis tonewise is the available and outboard eq's + the speaker cabinet vs those who want a flat eq on board and even on the amp, I'd prefer not to spend the $2700 on the WW 1200 watter. Even those who write here that it blows away other brand x y and z have to admit it's an opinion. I know that endorcements help to get "free" equipment, but most of the top players per who's being written about etc who's being voted top players etc. DO NOT use WW heads. AGain.....that means that they think there are other ones out there that do the job. So do I. Lots of players never play anything but vintage and other Fender basses even if they aren't as "pretty" or state of the art, or finished with as fancy a top or hardware as a top end Fenderish clone. I think my Lull blows these basses away, but not necessarily plugged into someone else's equipment with their settings or with them playing their bass in my stuff.

I have no argument that the WW 1200 or 650 watter in your ears is louder, better sounding, or whatever other subjective or semi-subjective criteria used. I and 95% of the bass players out there can't afford one, even in low wattage form, so we don't buy one. I"m just not willing to "risk" as one person mentioned, the cost that this is the one head that will make me want to leave my 31 band at home. I'd rather carry it with me and spend $950 for a head, then $2700 new, whether there's additional headroom or volume that I can't use anyway or that there's maybe a better "tone" I can derive from it without an outboard EQ.

Buy oine if you can afford it...Tell us how you like it....and rant and rave like I do about Schroeder cabinets if you fall in tone love!!!

LK

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Will they be up to $3K in your next post, Larry? ;)

14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If I stay as long winded as these posts, the price definitely will be over $3K by the time you guys are done reading 'em. :eyebrow:

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Low Class is right: the Walter Woods Ultra is currently $2300.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know guys who work for months and months to save for a Woods and they are never disapointed. For your situation Futurebass the Woods is a great choice. It's why many guys I know buy them.

17. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks for the input emjazz. Are they all great? I play ABG, active and passive electric bass, and EUB. Will any of them suit me or should I aim for a particular model?

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Talk to Walter about which amp is best for you. If you're doing large gigs than the Ultra can't be beat. Hell, if you have the cash than the extra head room is worth the extra money. Truth is though that most people would be fine with the lesser wattage models. The most important thing to note though is that Walter pretty much only makes the Ultra now because that's what people ask for.

I saw two or three Woods amps for sale at bassgear.com this week you may want to check into.