1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walter Woods Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesugster, Mar 16, 2008.

1. jamesugster

jamesugster

Mar 13, 2008
    Hi All,

My name is James and I'm a bass player based in England. The reason I'm on the American bass forum is because I've got a Walter Woods Amp for sale! In England these are very rare amps and hence people don't know very much about them. The amp is currently up on ebay and i'm getting asked some questions which i simply cant answer surely. As these are American amps I thought there is a chance that you guys may be a little more knowledge!

Does any one know of any websites which may give detailed info on these fantastic amps or perhaps have a manual?

There is a switch on the back of the amp i've found to change the voltage, so its suitable for American use too.

If any wants to check out the auction it can be found at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300207247368&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=020

Thank you in advance for any help you can give

JAMES

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Walter isn't much on internet technology so he doesn't have a website. Go on over to the DB side of this forum and under the Amps thread do a search for "Walter Woods" or "M-100" and there's a few threads about the amps. There's one there that has pics and info about the different models.

Here's one: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3208149#post3208149

3. Hello, James
    While I found it hard to make out what's written on the bottom panel of the amp in your auction pictures, your amp appears to be a mid-1980s MI-100 amplifier, as was an amp I used to own.
    Basically, there were three basic eras of Woods amps -- the "ice cream sandwich" amps of the early- to mid-70s, the MI-amps he made until the late 90s, and the current Electracoustic amps.
    The MI amps were by far the most diverse, being available in mono, stereo preamp/mono power amp, and full stereo setups (up to four channels in a few rare cases!) and with outputs including 100, 200, 225, 400, 1000, 1200 and 2200 Watts, IIRC.
    Your amp, from what I can see, is one of the more common MI-100s: stereo preamp, no XLR output, 100W into 4 ohms. These features make it among the less desirable Woods amps, but certainly a fantastic working amplifier if it functions correctly.
    If you open the top panel (carefully!) you should find the date of manufacture stamped into the top of the chassis, and also a folded-up schematic, hand-Xeroxed by Walter Woods himself!
    Best of luck with the auction.

4. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The M-100 (I have the '84 model) is 100 watts at 8 ohms and 150 at 4 ohms.

5. To clarify: some amps are 100W at 8 ohms/150W at 4 ohms, while others are ~75W at 8 ohms/100W at 4 ohms.

6. jamesugster

jamesugster

Mar 13, 2008
    Fantastic stuff - thank you very much!

From the slightly faded writing on the bottom of the amp i'm pretty sure its the 100w model (so presumably 75 at 4 ohms)

Does anyone know what Walter is up to now? is his still building amps? Is there a website for the Electracoustic models?

I started a discussion on the uk bass forum and serveral people seemed concerned about how servicable these amps are... Is it possible a competant tech can service it or is it something only walter is capable of doing?

Cheers

JAMES

7. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Walter is still building amps but as I posted, he doesn't have a website.