Walter Woods Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laker, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    I am considering placing an order for one of the Walter Woods amps and could use a current Phone number/address.

I hear of many using these amps in low volume settings, anyone using one in a high stage volume setting?
  2. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ed: I respect that.

I hope you wrote down the number, Laker.
  4. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've talked to Walter a couple of times. I think there's more stories going around about him than just about any other amp maker. Some say he wanders the desert. Others that he works only about half the year, taking off the other 6 months to sun in the Caribbean. I can't confirm or deny. I did place an order with Walter last November for one of his Ultra mono models. He said he was going to start a batch of them in December and would have mine the first quarter of 2001.
  5. Sometime last year I was thinking of buying a WW, and called him and left a message, and (eventually) got a call from him, and called him back and left a message, and (eventually) got a call from him and I answered and he told me to send him my order (+50% of the cost) and he'd get around to it. Well, I thought about the 18 months-to-two-year-waiting-list, and procrastinated, what with being busy etc. etc. and in the meantime I found a really nice Acoustic Image combo which, with the extension speaker came to about 60% of what I would have paid for the WW.

Just think, if I'd gone with the WW, I'd only have about a year left to wait :>

- Wil
  6. There's one bass player here in Ankara, a guy called Alan Ginter, who uses a 300 watt Walter Woods amp. His sound is good. Fine. Very good, actually, and he successfully runs his URB through it too.

But no better than some production line amps I have heard.
  7. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Andy, I'm not necessarily looking for "better" sound as my present Aguilar/Crown rig kicks some serious butt. Its the 80+ pounds that my rack weighs that I'm looking to replace. For smaller venues it would be nice to use a WW amp with one of my EA VL210s.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Will -

Well, OK. But you still don't have a Walter Woods amp.
  9. danhei

Jan 21, 2000
    If weight is an issue you might want to check out the Peavey DPC 1400X. It's 1400 watts (700 a side) and weighs 15 pounds. It's just a poweramp but it looks like you already have a preamp. I haven't heard it but Bassplayer gave it a pretty good review a little while ago.

Dan (also has a link to the bassplayer review)
  10. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    For anyone interested, a Walter Woods amp has just been listed on Ebay. You rarely see used ones for sale. It's the highest powered stereo model. (No, I'm not the seller!).