Walter Woods Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spliffnriff, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Has anyone A/B'd the Super High against the Ultra? That's the Amber light vs the blue light? Curious to know if there is any difference to the tone or is it just more headroom?:meh:

I am torn right now to sell the amber and buy the ultra or even.... don't shoot me..... the Mesa Walkabout Scout.
    The crazy thing is that I am no longer in a band and do not really see myself going there for a few years to come... I need to get my a$$ in gear! (no pun intended).

2. I replaced a 1999 Blue Light Ultra (600/1000 watt) with a 2003 Blue Light Ultra (800/1200). It's hard to compare, since Walter does change the designs quite a bit over time.... the interior of my 2003 Ultra looks totally different from the interior of my 1999 Ultra, which looks different than the interior of the 2004 or newer Ultra's.

There was a thread a while back that compared all these, and although the differences where subtle, the 2001-2003 Ultra's seem to have a little more punch and low end than the somewhat earlier or the newest ones.

So, a newer lower powered one might sound somewhat different than your older Ultra.... not a huge difference, but noticable in the low end.

However... I would highly recommend not doing the 'downgrade' to another Walter Woods... you wouldn't end up with that much additional money. If you can go just a little bigger, there are a number of great heads in the $1,000 or a little more range that sound wonderful, and in my opinion, will easily keep up with the Walter Ultra 1200 and even outperform it is some musical situations.

The heads I'd recommend looking at:

Thunderfunk550 (15 pounds and 500 watts into 4ohms... IMO punchier and fuller in the low end than my Ultra, and just as loud)
    Eden WT550 (around 20 pounds... similar to the TF above... a little warmer and rounder in the low end due to the tube preamp).
    AI Focus (warmer and 'darker' than the WW, but about the same size and even lighter than the WW! 800 watts in 4ohms)
    Markbass LMII (never played one... but they are getting a good rap on TB... 500 watts into 4, 8 pounds, and around $600 new!)

The Walkabout is a very different sounding head than the Walter or the other two above... very 'tubey' and very warm sounding. While it's a loud 300 watts, it will not keep up with the other heads above (including the Walter) if clean punch is what you are after.

My WW Ultra has not left the house since I purchased my Thunderfunk550.

Hope that at least gives you other options to think about.
  3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    You will notice very little difference in tone between an Ultra and a Super.

I've owned all the amps KJung has recommended and the Markbass is by far the one I would recommend. The Little Mark II is 6 lbs, 500 watts, best sounding and least expensive of all of them.
  4. Sounds like I need to check out one of those new LMII's! I think TBer Wilbyman has one on the way also.
  5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I recently A/B'd a 2005 Ultra against my 2002 Ultra and the difference in low end was Very noticeable. The new one also has a slight distorted sound coming from it, something I heard not only from this one but also from another 2005. Walter says there is nothing wrong with it. I didn't care for the new one at all. The 2005 model also will not run without a speaker load without voiding the warranty and only has a one year warranty compared to the 2 year warranty my 2002 came with. Walter has definitely made changes.
  6. That was actually my concern about the thread originator's plan... if he's exchanging a 2001-2003 Ultra with a newer Hi Power... that might not be a good thing at all.
  7. I have the Hi Power (1998) and was curious to know if there was much difference besides headroom between it and an Ultra. I am also toying with the idea of going into another completely different direction in using a Scout combo, along with the knowledge that the tube pre will have a completely different sound than the WW.

And thanks for the replies guys.
  8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I think he has a Super and wants to upgrade to an Ultra?
  9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The Hi Power you have is the one amp IMO that sounds completely different than the Ultra and Super. I LOVE the sound of the Hi Power, just not enough power for the bigger gigs(for me anyway).
  10. my bad, I do not have the Hi Power... I have the Super High.... sorry. :oops:
  11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Right now I'd recommend the Markbass to anyone looking to make an amp purchase. Given it's tone, power, price, and portability, it is definitely the amp on the block to knock off right now.

12. I had it backwards! Sorry about that. However, same recommendations.... for the money, you could get any one of the mentioned heads and have money (lots!) left over. Going from an older Amber to a newer Ultra (if I finally have that right?!?!?!) might actually not be worth it, given the comments above with the low end response differences, etc.
  13. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Reefer - where did you finally end up getting your LMII? By the way, I concur 100% with Reefer on the Markbass's place in the world. If they'd just catch up with orders, I could try some of the other models!
  14. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    I just got a LMII from Italmelodie in Montreal and like it better than both my former WW Ultra and current TF550.
    It looks like the TF will be on the blocks shortly.
  15. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    I'd like to add Epi's new Performance Series 600 amp to Ken's list. It's just like the 502UL only single channel. 600 watts @ 4ohms and only 8 lbs. Lists for $999.00.

The selections Ken mentioned above have great tone, I to have the WW Ultra High Power (blue light) and it sits at home since I got my Epi 502UL. The Epi has a better tone and delivers a performance from the spkr's you can feel.
    I use it with the Epi 410UL.
  16. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    I had a mid 90's WW Ultra High Power sterio, 1000 watt (green light), sold it and purchased a UHP 1200 mono in 2001 and noticed a loss of low end. Sometimes change for a newer version is not nessesarily a good choice. Given the amp choices mentioned, tonally and price wise, might be a better choice, at least worth looking into first.