Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods/Compact But Powerful Bass Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Owl, Sep 17, 2005.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm wondering are Walter Woods amps being made anymore or are they as vexing to find as The Holy Grail? I've always liked these amps but I'll be darned if I can ever get close to finding or encountering one. Are these handmade exclusively? Are they still in business?

Also looking for suggestions for bass heads about this size range with at least 200W RMS output, any suggestions and comments are welcome-----

2. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    Yep, WW still makes them (with his wife, i believe) one at a time, by hand. If you want one, you'll probably be standing in line for a while, That said, a good friend of mine just got one from WW w/o waiting, so who knows?

They do come up from time to time on eBay, but usually go for a substantial amount of dough. I will say this: they're the only s.s. head i've *ever* played that made me want to sell all of my tube gear. Amazing little things, they are.

There's no web presence at all, but if you google WW, you should be able to get Walter's phone number..

3. They are wonderful amps.

You have to keep calling Walter's phone till he answers (sometimes he won't pickup for a month or two for orders but he does get right back to folks who need service help) and if you are lucky and he feels like selling to you he may have one available.

He makes batches, and when he finishes a batch, then he starts to answer his phone till the batch is gone.

Aloha,

Jonathan

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Does anyone know whether the power supply on the amps is voltage switchable? I have often thought of purchasing one but not if it only runs on US 110volt power.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There is a voltage switch in between two of the heat sink fans. :)

And I know of two TBers who ordered WWU's from Walter over the last six months and they both had them delivered within six weeks...

Tom.

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    You may also look in the direction of the Thunderfunk TFB-550.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for something light and powerful, Acoustic Image's Focus line is pretty darn impressive as well.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, as is the iAMP 800.

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I've had the ThunderFunk, the iAmp 800, and the Ai Focus. If you've got the dough, get the Walter Woods!! :bassist:

10. Mesa Walkabout is also in this catagory, if your wanting something a little more tubey.

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks everyone, this Owl definitely appreciates your comments, I'll check into Acoustic Image gear at some point, sounds like it'll be far more available than WW.