Walter Woods D.I.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Aarongermain, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Aarongermain

Apr 27, 2005
    Does anyone else have a problem with the D.I. on the Walter Woods? Sound guys tell me they get a weak dirty signal. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fantastic amp, I just can't figure out what to do if the sound man happens to not have a d.I. box. Anyone figure out a way around this problem?
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I've had exactly the opposite response, the sound guys say it gets a really warm sound for a Direct out.
  3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    You probably know this already, but I think you have to make sure all the knobs and switches are in the right place...the DI has to be turned on, in the first place, to either "pre" or "post" gain, and then the "send mix" has to be turned up I think?

On my WW, the direct out is a 1/4" jack (not XLR), so the sound guy has to use a direct box anyway...if your sound guy isn't using a direct box, well that might explain it.
  4. andowe

Feb 20, 2005
    New York City
    I think my Woods ultra hi is great however I had that same problem on a number of gigs. I tried everything: changing dial/switch settings, cables, power conditioners, even ran power to my amp from a different electric circuit than what the PA was on.
    What was truly baffling is that the direct out would occasionally work just fine. I concluded (with the helpful observation of a freelance sound tech dude that I would work with on different gigs) that it depended on the PA system since it worked with some systems and wouldn't with others. Does that make sense?
    What I should have done is call Walter and ask him. If anybody else has, I'd be interested in his explanation
    I finally purchased my own direct box, a Radial J48. $200 later and problem solved. It came recommended by a sound tech whose opinion I trust. A couple months later, a good buddy and fellow Woods owner with "the problem" also got one and he raves about it.
    In the studio it clearly sounds better than other direct boxs I've used. So it isn't a complete total wank that I had to spend another $200 on top of what I spent for the Woods. I haven't had a chance to compare Radial to the Countryman direct.

- Andy
  5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I have an old 2 channel "low power" one that has the 1/4 inch line out.
    Sound guys have liked it, never a problem. Any trouble must have to do with the type of direct box you encountered, if the amp had been working properly. Walter used to offer a balanced XLR output a few years back but discontinued offering it. I seem to recall seeing a post on TB commenting on this, along with Walters recommendation for the type of direct box he recommends (active/passive?) can't remember what kind off the top of my head. Think it appeared a couple months back.
  6. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I wonder if what we're seeing here is an issue of quality control? I know when I bought a new WW it broke down on gigs and I sent it back and forth to Walter MANY times to be fixed; I finally asked him for the schematics so the electrical engineer downstairs (who worked on 40,000-watt laboratory amplifiers for a living) could fix it, and Walter got nervous and fixed it with "the best components money can buy" (for free) and promised me it would never break again. When it came back from his shop the last time, it was several pounds heavier! But it's never broken down again, and I reckon it's a unique WW now...

Anyway, my point is, maybe they're not all created equal...(still great amps, though, and great service from the Maker).
  7. ztpbassman

Apr 11, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've played many arenas and showrooms with my low power 2 channel Woods and never heard anything but good comments from sound guys. I fly around with the head and my bass and ask the backline guys to provide decent cabinets (SWR Son of Bertha is decent ). So far it has worked out very well and I feel I have some familiarity and control over my sound. But then again, as per many of these messages, a lot of the times they did take the 1/4 inch output and ran it into a direct box.
  8. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    The Radial JDI works well with the Woods Ultra. It's passive and features a high quality Jenson transformer.
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Not necessarily. All the national-level sound guys I've worked with would really prefer a seperate DI from the amp anyway. If the amp fails for some reason, he'll still have your signal in the FOH. That's really a good concept to follow for anyone who's playing through a PA big enough that the FOH is carrying the majority of your signal and the amp is just an onstage monitor.
  10. pbrand

Dec 3, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    I also use the Radial JDI, oddly I was using a Radial JDV Mark 3 and then I tried a Radial J48 but from what Walter has told me a passive DI is better, which is what I found out, all the active DI's I used (off the DI out of the Walter Woods) would buzz and hum and I couldn't get rid of it but as soon as I went to a passive it went away, Walter mentioned to me at one time that he stopped making the XLR outs because if you switched on Phantom power by accident you could damage the amp! I think he said that it was better to have an isolation transformer in an external DI rather than using a transformerless model, I hope this helps!