Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods - good for what I'm playing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Walter Woods amp.

I play in a "wedding band" that does virtually every kind of music - from Russian folk dances to Rock, Dance, Country, Motown (you get the picture). We run all instruments through the main system, so my amp setup is basically just a stage monitor. No upright playing, just electric.

Basses include some decent stuff - Mike Lull, Pedulla, Laklands, Stingray, Rumblefish, 4003, etc.

Cabs include Bergantino HT310, (2) HT112's, (2) Bag End D10X-D (210 cabs).

I bring up the equipment to give you a better idea of what would be used with the head.

My question to you Walter Woods owners (or people who have played through them) is....

Is this a good choice for what I am playing?

Are WW amps loud for their wattage ratings?

How reliable are they?

Would you feel comfortable with buying a used model, instead of waiting for a new one?

Thanks, in advance for your comments!

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I own a ultra high and 2 berg 112's. I try very hard to camelean this rig into the many styles of music I play.

the woods has 2 imput channels so you can eq 2 radically different sounds and switch between them

The 1200 watts my amp is rated at I dont know how "true" they are but I can tell you this rig is LOUD and clean (but I dont have a 5 string ,yet)

I use a sans amp to get the more traditional bernished tones that I love and so many songs call for.

They have a good rep for reliability

I bought mine used but it was in extremely good condition and I knew Id see the previous owner on almost a daily bassis.

Im VERY happy with my current set up

hope this helps

AJ

3. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Thanks AJ!

So you'd recommend it - for a multitude of styles and for someone who'll never use it with an upright bass?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Camelean ... sounds like some kind of Spam made out of camel meat. Could he mean chameleon?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think he means camel bacon.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I owned a low-powered model years ago, and don't ask me why I sold it and went back to GKs. I wish I never sold that Woods! Anyway, here are my responses...

Is this a good choice for what I am playing? yes.

Are WW amps loud for their wattage ratings? yes.

How reliable are they? Never had a problem during the three years that I owned one, and I have heard from others that their Woods have been reliable as well.

Would you feel comfortable with buying a used model, instead of waiting for a new one? Yes. Just do your best in demo-ing it to make sure there aren't any problems (run it at a high volume, twiddle all of the nobs, check all jack contacts, etc.)

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Id recomend it .Its small( to me that is very important) .its neutural sounding (this is good and bad depending on your taste and willingness to use other gadgets for tone) For me I can get my rig to do alot of things well and none of them perfect or as good as what Im trying to emulate.works for me, mabye not for you?

AJ

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I've got a Walter Woods "Ultra High Power" amp and use it with a Berg HT112 and EX112. I play in a LOUD rock band with 2 Marshalls and Les Pauls, and have NEVER had a volume/tone issue! I play mainly a Stingray 4 or Sadowsky 5 with a pick and this rig is crazy!!!!!!!! I have a Woods "High Power" also, and it would probably be enough power for 99% of my gigs. Oh yeah.....that one is for sale!
    GEEK

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    to be honest, i say pass... (heresy!!!!)

I only say this, cause things sound really sketchy in trying to get in touch with mr. woods. he doesnt take any calls anymore, and no longer advertises his wares at all. one guy i remember on this very forum, mentioned how he mailed a $20 bill to get Walt's attention... ***?! :confused: if its that much trouble, i say pass.

if i'm paying that much, i expect a little peace of mind at every step of the game. His amps aint cheap, ya know. besides, there are many other quality builders out there, who are more upfront, not nearly as shady, and professional when it comes to my business.

if you want something small yet powerful, there are any number of lightweight rigs you could get. EA's iAMP350 or iAMP800, Eden's upcoming WT550, or even a good preamp hookedup to a lightweight Stewart World series or Peavey DPC1400x power amp.

10. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Just thinking....

Since Walter is a one-man operation - what happens if something (god forbid) would happen to Walter???

Are there others who can service his amps???

Would all warranties be worthless????

Should this be a consideration!!!

Just trying to cover all bases!

11. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've had a good experience with my Ultra in the year and a half I've had it. Good sound, lots of eq if wanted, built like a tank, and easy to carry in a backpack or portable computer case. I use mine only with an electric 5. You do need to consider all the points made by the above posters. I haven't had a reason to talk to Walter since I received mine, so I can't speak for any new eccentricities he may have added in recent times! I found him to be very professional and easy to work with. But there are many excellent amps on the market today, and you would do well to check out your options. Good luck.

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Joker,
    With all due respect..........Walter is VERY accessable! He sometimes takes "working vacations" where he will not answer the phone for new orders. He requests that you leave a message, and he will send you a catalog or call you back after a certain date. If you own an amp already(even if you bought it used), he will pick up the phone and chat FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I , and others, have found him to be VERY professional and nothing but a gentleman. I have no worries about the @ssload of cash I just spent.
    GEEK

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, there you go.

i guess i'm just sick of having to jump thru hoops and then wait soooooo long for great gear. heck, i have to wait 5 month for my Roscoe, and another 6 weeks for my USA Custom 5 string parts. as you can tell, i'm not a very patient, man. :D

btw, how much are walts goin' for these days? heard they're butt expensive.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of my gigs is similar to what you described, Bass-only. The right wattage Woods should be fine for that. The only possible drawback I can see is $$$'s.

OTOH I bought an Amplified Music Products BH-420 amp used over ten years ago. Not quite as light as the Woods but it's a small, extremely well made and well designed amp. ~420w @4 ohms, dead quiet, excellent tone. I use mine with the semi-parametric EQ set flat and almost every bass I've plugged into it sounded excellent that way. The one or two others needed a slight tweak to sound excellent.

The company went out of business years ago, so a warranty is not available. I've never had a problem with either of mine. They don't come up often for sale (Woods don't either) but when they do the price has been around $300. That's a steal for this level of quality and sound.

Just another option. I've played through several Woods, they're nice amps, especially for doublers. Still, I'm happy with my AMP.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone seen a picture of this shady character? you can never be too careful... ;)

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Good freakin' lord!! is that all models or just the lower powered ones?

EDDIE FUDGE,

ok, i'll bite, what does these little miracles from heaven sound like? someone told me transparent, while another said, nearly tube like. are you also an electric guy too? what da dilly, yo?

17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    All the models wiegh between 7-8 poonds ,their tiny the size of a wt400.

To my ears the sound is nuetural but they have 2 seperate channels with alot of eq so there are options.

For me the size/power(1200watts 4ohm)2 channels (one for upright one for plank) was the major reasons for getting one.

I think that If I own a seperate amp /cab for all the sounds that I try to get out of my set up each one of those would do its speciality better than what I get out of my rig. I feel that I probally get 90% of those colors and I have one amp/cabs. For this piriod in my life this works great for me but for hard core purist (of any style) they may look down on my desisions.

I love my woods and berg cabs.

AJ

18. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Well, the last time I checked I was here, so I guess I didn't come from nowhere! HaHa.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI,

i spoke with Tim over at www.coolbasses.com, and he's selling a sweet little WW 225 watt (i think?) that was formally owned by Steve Azola himself. used it to test his EUB's.

if anyone's interested its up for grabs. enjoy! :D

20. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    I have (2) Walter Woods amps. One is over 20 years old and never had ANY problems. The new one is a Ultra hi-power and is about a year old.
    Walter is a busy man but, is accessible and far from shady! As someone else pointed out, he will talk forever about his amps, or anything else for that matter, if you have questions or concerns about your amp. Great guy!