1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walter Woods - Green light - Enough power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, May 6, 2006.

1. Will a WW Green light model - 300 watt @ 8 ohm and 450 @ ohm be enough power to run two Epifani 12's for rock/pop gigs?

Anyone have experience playing this amp?

-Christian

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Mine has plenty of power to drive almost anything. However, the input has so much headroom that the only instrument that really gets full advantage of it is the Alembic 18V Series electronics. For all of my other instruments, including my uprights, I prefer to first go through a tube preamp and then into the amp. Otherwise, there is a ton of headroom on the input stage going to waste. IME.

3. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    The trick with the Greenlight for volume is to run it at 4 ohms.
    I use WW+ BagEnd15 (8ohms)for small to medium rooms= combo rig . When I add 210 Eden (now down to 4 ohms)It goes into "big stage rig " mode.My older model has a great (and hot) DI lineout that I use when needed.BTW the DI tracks great. I use it all the time in studio .

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I had a green light Walter for a while. I found it very underpowered. An amp like a WT550, Thunderfunk, or iAmp500 running at 4ohms will totally blow it away regarding bottom end and punch, and for less money new than the greenlight cost used.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:confused: All you have to do is crank up the pre gain control on the amp... that's what it's for. If you have a bass with weak output, just turn up the gain to adjust.

6. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Gee, after using it, learning it, gigging with it for 15+ years now, I must obviously just be stupid. Thanks for straightening me out.

7. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    OK, sarcasm aside, and FWIW, my understanding about the Green Lights is that Walter designed them with URB in mind. In fact, I believe he was initially amused that the EBG players were even interested in them. At that time, people were using additional preamps for the piezo pups, so the Green Light input stage was intentionally designed to take a fairly robust preamp ahead of it. Left alone, it will more or less behave like a standard head with the - 12 db or -15 db pad engaged. This is what I was referring to about headroom. Yes, you can crank up the input gain, but that isn't the way the input was designed. You will find that if you put a $50 Art preamp in front of the Green Light, it will stand up to any of the units Ken mentioned and then some. However, I find that hookup to be a bit of a PITA gig after gig.

Another, point is that 15 years ago, there was no internet, except at DARPA, the Thunderfunk was an AMP, which some people knew about, but didn't mostly use for URB, and the Eden was a VT series (which were pretty cool). The Green Lights are legit doubling amps, with the right input stage work extremely well. They just take a little more effort. IME.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

WW 'Green Light' is not a specific model, but an indication of power. Walter made 'Green Light' models many years ago, and continues to make them today. Through the years, the preamps have changed a lot, and the absolute power rating has continued to climb within the colors.

While Walter did design his early models with DB in mind, and then had two channel models, one optimized for DB and the other for EB, that ended quite a while ago.

The input gain on the Walters from the past 10 years is actually quite hot, and very similar to the 'passive' inputs of other amps.

I find all the Walters great sounding, but the lower powered models don't seem to have enough 'oomph' for the pop/funk type EB playing that the thread originator is describing IMO. I actually find my Thunderfunk at 500 watts into 4ohms to provide significantly more low end punch and 'real low end' than even my 1200 watt Ultra.

Given the cost and the other wonderful, powerful lightweight amps out there today, the Walters in general, and the green light/lower powered Walters in specific, would be very far down my list of recommended heads for relatively loud pop EB.... of course, IMO.

Also, if you want to make such a point out of your vast experience and knowledge... fill in your profile:)

9. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    +1 Ken, I found the same thing with my Epi 502.

10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    "...I am VAST; I contain multitudes." - W. Whitman :)

Hey, I thought the point of the thread was to simply answer whether one of these puppies would run a couple of Epi's. I was just trying to respond with my experience; based on which, it would with certain input control. However, if you prefer other amps, that's fine too. I ain't advocating anything at all. I agree that if you plug a passive Fender directly into the version of WW I have, you will be disappointed.

In fact, my first gig when I first moved down here from MI, I used my Borgified (ART in front) Green Light on top of my two Tech 2x12's. That resulted in strange looks from the guitarist/leader at the first gig, until he heard the tone and volume. For the next 8 months after I moved on from that group, he kept calling me trying to buy the same rig (I kept hoping he had a gig - times were tough). I didn't know that Walter was even still producing the Green Lights, but I advised him to look at the Thunderfunk at that time, based on comments on this board, and due consderation of cost / performance.

However, I don't plan to sell off my WW for a Thunderfunk any time soon - its just too portable, and works just fine for my needs with the tube pre in front of it.

11. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    Just to add to my earlier post - I should have qualified that I always use a preamp in front of my passive pickups .I have a few types, but my favourite lately is a tube preamp- the SIB Fatdrive.

I also think I read somewhere that the original WW's were optimized to run at 4 ohms.I saw a few DB players using pairs of Bose speakers ,and I think at the time (20years ago) Walter recommended that setup .I guess we have a few more options these days :)

Mr. Woods told me that the front end didn't require passive or active inputs as it was designed to take any load . I find it very compatible for active ,passive,or DB Piezo .He also metioned that Greenlight (mid 90's Model ) was was updated in the preamp section with Eb players in mind (ie . treble boost ++ for slappers)

12. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Are WW's still made. I have tried to look him up on the internet quite a few times recently and can't find even a phone number. Is he retired now, are used WW's the only way to get one anymore?

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Walter still makes amps. There has always been more demand for his amps than he can produce, so he doesn't bother with websites or advertising. His amps are very expensive, ranging from about $1,700 for the low power models to almost $3,000 for the highest power models.

If you are still interested after seeing those prices :eek: , feel free to PM me and I'll give you his phone number.

14. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Thanks they are more expensive than I thought, I'll wait someday I'll find a used one. In mean time I will go back to checking out ThunderFunk and Epifani.

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would have to say this assessment is right on de money.