Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Hard Case by SKB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbrand, Feb 2, 2005.

1. pbrand

pbrand

Dec 3, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Be sure to check into the Pelican case line if you like that style. We use tons of 'em for delicate sonar gear, they're totally bomber. Readily available from camera supply houses and dive shops, among others. The SKB looks virtually identical, not surprising for mil spec stuff I guess.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I looked into a lot of different case options, but ended up with the Mooradian gig bag. I must say, they make a fine product, and while it isn't the cheapest, it is extremely overbuilt and I think a fair value for the money.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was on my way to GC to pick one of these up last week. I had seen it several days before and thought that it would work great for carrying my Ultra. But I got half way there and turned around. I figured that guys like Boogiebass and Jonathan Starr seemed really happy with the Mooradian so I decided that I should go that way.

I just got the case that I ordered from Mooradian, yesterday, which seemed like record time since these are made up as ordered. I'm pretty pleased with the Mooradian bag but would make some changes, if I could.

But the SKB case is really nice and seems like it could handle some serious abuse without showing a mark.

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I bought the same one for my Ultra a couple weeks ago. Works great!

6. I finally racked my WWU in a 3 space Odyessy rack bag. It's great and the inner carpeted rack box comes out of the bag for neat look or I use it as a spacer between my Berg 112's to lift the top one up about 6". I started to have too many 'yahoos' with drinks coming up by my precious little amp. I'm alot more comfortable now, plus I got to utliize my extra rack tuner and I keep my Radial JDI velcroed in the back for a neat, light, protected package... :D And no, I don't think it at all defeats the purpose of a tiny amp.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I got a bigger model of the SKB for speaker cables and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Pelican is making these for SKB.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Does Pelican market a similar case in their own line?

It would have been cool if they would have made a provision for a strap for hands-free carrying.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
  10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Just wanted to thank everybody, especially pbrand, for this thread. As a result of this tip, I got the case for my WWU. As was said before, fits perfectly and seems very strong. Thanks again, TB!

12. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    Thanks everyone! I just picked up the SKB 3I-1610-5B case for my WWU. I got it at GC for a very good deal.

[​IMG]

13. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I got the Mooradian also. I think it's fine for local gigs.If I were to go back on the road I'd look into the hardshell SKB.

14. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Mooradian is a great gig bag and pricey too. I use a Samsonite lamptop computer bag for my WW and a pocket for spkr cables.

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've had the Moordian and several hard type cases and the best thing I found was the NEW Eden WT550 bag. It's soft, but has hard protection built in on all 4 sides. Also has great storage space. Only $59 from Musician's Friend.

16. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    This sounds like a good alternative for the Mooradian. Can you share a pic of the bag? Can find any pics of it in online stores. Is it like the old Eden WT-400 bag?

17. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    It's very much like the old bag, but they put hard sides inside the material so it protects very well(unlike the Mooradian). The pockets are little bigger(they were big before) and it looks WAY cooler! The width and height fit the WW perfect, just add a little foam in the bottom and it's ready to go. I'll post pics later today. BTW, not only is it a good alternative, I think it's a better bag!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=542060

18. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Here's a couple of pics:

19. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Here's one showing some of the storage capacity:

20. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    Cool thanks for sharing! The storage space definitely got better in this new bag.