Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods models/specs/prices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Just for the Purpose of answering the first questions alot of people ask about walters amps Im making a thread. This is also to ecucate people who are considering buing used amps as to whats out there and what buing new entails

1) He does not have a store or a web site its all word of mouth.

2) he builds all his amps at home himself

3) Ive heard He was bummed that someone posted his Phone number (his way of contacting people) online so I wont post it hear anyone who wants it contact me privately.

4) The wait you will have depends on what model you want and a little luck with his own scedule. From what I can tell he works in batches so his less popular models take longer cause I belive he wants to build a number of them at a time.

The ultra high is by far the most popular.

He takes "orders" with no deposit ( this was personal expirience on his panflit he encurages 50%) complets a Run of amps and calls back the people with orders often it seems people will not have the funds for the amp at that time he then calls the next person on the list. when nobodys on the list hell offer to the next person who calls.Its not uncommon to get him on the phone for the first time and have him say You can buy one today.

5) My impresion is he works in batches and during this time He turns off his phone it will directly to a machine that says "Hi I am unable to take calls and messages untill this date".

In my exspieriences He is VERY good about calling you back and he seems to screen his calls so talk to the machine.

He is curtious ,professional ,smart and loves to talk about amps players needs and such.

6) Amps

The models are Identifiable by the color of the power light besides that the monos all look alike.as do the stereos.

They are all the same size 3.5x12.35x8.75 inches

wt between 6.5-7.5 lbs.

As of a year ago he had 6 models they are

Mono powered two Identical channels (with eq,send,return,pre/post gain,send/dry blend knob) for each.

Lo Power (red) 120w 8 ohm-200w 4 ohm 1199$

Hi power (green)300-450 1399$

super Hi (amber)450-650 1699$

Ultra Hi (blue) 800-1200 2099$

Stereo Models have the same feachers as the mono with the addition of a pan knob for ech channel.

Lo power (red) 100 a side (the panflet has no bridged spec?)

Hi power (green ) 225-350 a side and 700-1000 bridged.

I quess a bridgeing adapter is required to bridge the stereo model

He has rack ears availible for mounting

I garantee none of this as things, in buisness,things change.Please DONT QUOTE me on this when dealing with him. Just use the info for what you can likely expect

AJ

2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    what do his amps sound like? and i don't mean "they sound like walter woods amps, duh", what do they compare with? it's gotta be great for a 1200 watt head to cost 2100 bucks.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the post. Someday, I will own a hi-power stereo Woods!

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I started this post to try to educate the person thinking of buying one of his amps used so you can Identify them and have some Idea what there worth.

I then elaberated based on what my exspierience was.

I have no Idea what his policy conserning credit cards. I do not want to say any more about His POLICIES it may be taken too literally.

My information is based apon transactions Ive had with him and My interpitations of his buisness

All exact specs are from a year old pamflet that was mailed to me 1.3 years ago.

His amp are intended to sound "flat " nuetural" uncolored" They sound that way. The EQ is very effective and thorough.

AJ

5. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I recently purchased an Ultra High Power amp from Walter. I was lucky in that he had a batch underway and not all of them were spoken for. I go mine abou three weeks after my call to him. He doesn't take credit cards--when the amps are ready, he calls you, you overnight him a cashiers check, and he sends the amp back to you via FedEx.

Walter is a delightful guy and wonderful to speak with. As Andrew pointed out, he works alone and when he is busy he will shut off his phone so that can get some work done. He is very good about calling back but you may have to wait a day or two.

My amp sounds absolutely wonderful, both with my bass guitars and my upright basses. I keep the eq on one channel for the uprights and the other channel for BG. With two 8-ohm cabinets, I can get more volume and power than I will ever need, and it is clean clean clean and very warm. All this in a 6.5 pound compact box that has a switch for shifting between 110 and 220.

I wish that I had bitten the bullet and bought one of these years ago. The cost would have been a lot lower if I hadn't gone through an Eden WT400 and EA iAMP350 before I bought the Woods. I will never need another amp again.

Erik

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

wheres the switch?

AJ

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    AJ, I thank you for this info! Very much what I have been sighing for. Only lacks the contact info, which I respect your attitude on, and:
    PICTURES!!!

If you could get hold of an e-camera and post neat pictures form all sides, I'd be very comfortable.:cool:

8. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The switch for voltage changing is a small micro switch buried in the cooling blades on the back of the amp so that it is accessible with a pencil or other narrow object but can not be accidentally moved.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    omg,

its looking at me all seductive like... turn away, turn away!!!

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks, KONG!

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great info, Andrew.

I had an opportunity to play through a High Power WW going into an Eden D210xlt. It was a jam session and while I was waiting to get up and play I was thinking what a nice full, deep sound. I couldn't see the amp but did notice the xlt. I was a bit surprised just how good that cab sounded. And I was thinking that my old xlt never sounded that good.

Now one thing that I didn't understand is the Ultra High model bridgeable into 4 ohms?

12. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Does anyone know if his heads are loud enough? I am used to an SWR SM-900. What head would be comparable to that? Are they rated pretty close to normal in watts or is a smaller model really louder than its rating?

13. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have the Ultra High Powered model (it has a blue pilot lamp) that is rated 800 watts into 8 ohms and 1200 watts into 4 ohms. All this is in a 7.5 pound package that can be easily lifted with one finger and looks exactly like the picture above. I've never been able to come close to running out of power although I haven't tried to run two 8-cabinet stacks with it. With two 8-ohm speaker cabinets attached (a Bergantion 1-12 and an Acme B-1), the highest I've ever set the volume controls is 12:00 (about half) on both the pre-amp and output power stages. At that level, it was too loud with a 3-horn rock & roll/Motown/EW&F type band (with a PA for horns, two vocalists, and synth only) and I had to turn down the volume on my bass.

In addition, it also sounds fabulous with the 8-ohm Acme B-1 with the volume set just high enough to slightly augment the natural volume of my upright bass for small guitar or piano duo gigs. It is really the perfect amp for doublers since there are two discrete input channels with identical EQ controls so that I can leave both instruments plugged in, set properly, and have only to turn off the volume control of the one I'm not playing. I wish I had bought one of these sooner since the admittedly high cost would have not been enlarged by the losses I took on the three other amps I bought and sold along the way until buying it. Since Walter builds these by hand himself, the high cost is all in the labor and that is reflected in the prices--the low power models aren't that much cheaper than the really powerful ones. As a result, it made the most sense to me to spring for the Ultra model which was only $200 more expensive than the High Powe model. It is the amp for a lifetime IMHO.

14. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    In addition to all the other kudos with which I agree, I've been using a Hi power model (300/450W) for the last 10 yrs - and it has been solid as a rock! It's seen countless gigs and has never failed to perform flawlessly ....... a very fast punchy sounding amp.

Another great thing about the 2 channel system for upright bass is to use 1 channel for a pickup and the 2nd channel for a microphone, and blend them together ...... it makes for a much more convincing upright sound when you need to get more volume happening in bigger ensembles.

Tony

15. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Do his amps have an xlr out on the back?

16. No they don't. Walter does not like them. He uses an unbalanced 1/4 out in the front. There is a switch above to change between post and pre. He reccomends using a passive DI with a transformer, such as a Radial JDI, to properly isolate his amp from transient spikes from a mixing board and any 60 hz type hum.

17. Is it not still vulnerable via the inbalanced 1/4? Is hum and/or protection his only concern you're aware of or is there more?

18. I asked him about putting a balanced out on my amber light and he really went off for the reasons I indicated, so I do what the master say. He said for live situations, in his experience, you really can't trust some sound guy/and equiptment you don't know.

I use a JDI and it works fine. He was really against me doing that mod, which suprised me. He said that the XLR outs on bass rigs are basically a marketing scam for the masses.

I also have used a Monster balanced 1/4 to male XLR and that seems to record the Woods really fat. I asked Walter why that seems to work so well and he had no quick answer for me. Basically he said , "whatever works is right" as long as you know the source your going downstream to.

19. That's what I was really wondering about and did not know how to ask. I was curious about why someone of Walter Woods' stature would exclude such a feature. Based on this thread he certainly could/would put it there if he liked it.

Now I'm just a bass player but after the little bit of experience I've had with this feature (on many amps) I agree with him 100%.

Thanks for sharing this.

20. Yeah, he really felt strongly about it. Walter is a funny guy, certain things really set him off a going and this was one of 'em.

Ciao