Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods owners in Canada

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spliffnriff, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Hi guys, I am looking for a place where I can take my WW in for a clean up. Some of the pots need serious clean up and I do not want to send it to Walter in California just yet.
    Any help would be appreciated as the local places I called do not want to touch it, and that made me feel good, since I do not want them screwing my baby up.

Al

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...send it to Walter...

~S~

3. Bump..... Anyone in Canada????

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    My pots needed cleaning and I called walter and he left me two incredibly detailed messages on how and with what to clean it. Must be 0 residue cleaner from electronics store. I believe his number in on Matt Pulcinella's website under FAQs.

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Walter's amps are all handmade. The local places probably don't want to touch it for fear of screwing it up. Walter is pretty specific about how the amps should be handled, cleaned etc.

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Yes you're right, it's not brain surgery. I took my Walter Woods head down to a "local legend" amp tech over here who has worked on tons of amps for many years for stores and on his own. This guy is extremely knowledgeable. He declined to work on my Woods evan after working on my Galien Krueger for 7 years. He simply said that Walter's amps are of his own, let's say "personal" design, and he didn't want to open it up. I'm sure if he was on the phone, Walter could talk him through it, but for whatever reason; he was reluctant to take on the responsibility and he is someone who is really curious and really busy all the time. So, yes they are pots and it's not difficult to clean them but for whatever reason, my experience has been the above. To be fair, I wasn't there asking for the pots to be cleaned, but maybe people think of them as "sophisticated" amps or whatever.

I actually really respected the tech's honest statement. It was very mature and responsible.

7. I kind of respect the fact that the people I spoke to did not want to work on the WW since they were not familiar with them!
    I will call the Man himself and get his op.
    thanks all.

Peace, Love, Bass

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Please keep us updated on what you end up doing, if you wouldn't mind. Just because we're nosey. :eek:

9. No Problem Jerry, that's what the brotherhood of bassists is all aboot! :)

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks!

11. Well last night I spoke with Walter. I appreciate the time he gave me considering that he has his hands full building amps.
    Anyway, he told me how to clean the pots, and even gave me several tips about the pots, and the input jacks. Bottom line, is that if I need to clean the pots, I will do it myself.
    Walter said that the one pot that is giving me a problem could (COULD) get worse if I cleaned it, and that it may be simpler to leave alone. When I get the time, I will clean it, and if it gets worse, I will replace the pot. I was given explicit instructions on how to clean, and the type of pot to replace.
    Thanks

12. Spliff, would you mind sharing that information in detail when you have time. I don't want to bother Walter since I don't have the problem currently, but I may sometime. Thank you in advance if you can accommodate. I have the WWU btw.

13. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR

That's really super. Thanks for keeping us updated on this.

I am planning on ordering an Ultra in the near future and was curious how Walter handled situations like yours when the local techs won't touch the amp.

I just need to get busy and sell my MTD535.