Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods owners....PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock City, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey Guys,
    I just ordered a Walter Woods 450-650 Super High Power amp from Walter. I'm wondering now if this will be enough power? I've always used an SVT or Hiwatt 200, and lately have been using an Ashdown ABM 300. Is the Woods going to have the same "balls" as these, or should I upgrade to a 1000 or 1200? Any and all help is awesome!
    Thanks, GEEK

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had one of the 100 watt Woods amps and it was a great sounding amp but not enough power. A friend had the 350 watt version and I thought it was plenty loud for most gigs, however, he recently bought a 1000 watt Woods to replace his 350 watt amp.

My "small" power amp (I use rack gear) is 1000 watts and I never felt it was too much. My bigger rig has a 1600 watt power amp. My advice is to buy the highest powered amp you can afford. There is no substitute for headroom.

Chuck

3. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I second Chuck, above. I've got the Woods Ultra. Mono at 8 ohm/800 watts and 4 ohm/1200 watts. Go for the higher wattage if your budget allows. Also, you could consider alternative brands. There are lots of really good, and powerful, amps available and at less moola than Walter's. Best of fortune to you!

4. Are the Walter Woods amps good rock amps? Do they have a particular sound? What is the price range?

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've got the 1200 watt ultra high. I wouldn't consider it a great rock amp. It has a very clean sound and is made to be very neutral. For my purposes which is playing a variety of styles in different size ensembles it's great. Portable, lot of power, gets a real good sound anywher. Remember it reflects your instrument especially if you pair it with neutral cabs like EA, Epifani etc, so you've got to have a good instrument. I consider it a great amp for working bassists who have to be versatile.

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Thanks for all the replies! Would you guys say that the Woods 450-650 will at least perform as well as a GK 800RB? I almost never need more power than that. Most gigs I'm DI'ed, and for bigger gigs I've got SVT's and Hiwatts, and an Acoustic 360. I can certainly upgrade to the 1200, but I don't know if I need that kind of power. Do you think Walters wattage ratings are accurate, or a little overblown? 650 watts should be a crapload of power....eh?
    GEEK

7. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    GEEK, from my brief experience owning the same model WW that you ordered - and this is my opinion only - I think Walter's wattage ratings are, er, "generous" - maybe not overblown. I found that mine didn't have the headroom I had expected given the wattage rating.

To tell you the truth, I was pretty underwhelmed with my WW 450/650 amp. After I had it for a while, I started thinking about the WT-400 I owned before and wondering if the WW was really worth more than 3 times the amount I got for the Eden. The answer (to me) was a definite NO. IMHO, the only real plus the WW has over high quality mass-produced bass amps is the light weight. And to me it ain't worth $1000+ bucks to save a few lbs. Also, with the WW you don't get a DI out or a tuner out - conveniences that are taken for granted in most amps.

Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not slagging Walter Woods or his amps - they are fine-sounding and well built. I'm glad I owned one because I always thought a WW was the Holy Grail of bass amps. Now I don't get GAS every time I see one advertised for sale.

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    OK......OK!!!!! I did it!!!!! I just got off the phone with Walter and upgraded to an Ultra 1200. Actually.....my business partner ordered one of the same today also! Now just gotta find $4400.00?
    Thanks for all the help guys!!
    GEEK

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    ***?! Is that really what they cost now?

Dang, there goes that idea ....

10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Richard.......
    Sorry for the heart attack!!!!!! The amps are $2215.00 each. My partner's and mine together equal $4430.00. Oops!
    GEEK

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Phew, you had me going there ....

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I went through the whole "should I" thing with the same subject. And I concluded that Eden would suit my "rock" needs better. I know how you feel about Eden, but my conclusions were this:

WW amps were expensive, light, reliable, well built, digital power supply, non-coloring = best for standup bass.

Eden amps were semi-expensive, semi-light for power, reliable, well built, conventional power supply, torroid transformer, sound coloring = better for rock + me.

A SansAmp BDDI in front of the Eden really helps get the click out, and adds grind.

I think you got GAS bad!

13. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Good luck with your Walter Woods. I've been really happy with mine. Really small, built like a tank, a versatile pre-amp section, and clean. (You'll have to buy accessories if you want grunge or dirt!) I have passive pickups on my 5 string, and run a Sadowsky outboard and it sounds way heavy when I need it to. I can also dial in a pretty good string bass sound. Anyway, best of fortune to you, and hopefully you won't need to wait too long.

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Bob.....Come on man! You know I got it bad!!!!!!! Always wanted a Woods so I just did it! I got off the phone with Walter and Justin made me call him back to order another one for him!
    By the way, hows the SVT? Gimme' a call!!!!!

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Boobinga......Thanks! The wait is only 30-60 days for an Ultra High Power Mono right now. Better than 18 months when I spoke to Walter 3 years ago!!! Of course, ordering 2 at a time may help too!
    GEEK