Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 6, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    In April of this year, I bought an Ultra-High power amp from Walter to replace my High-Power model (can't have too much power...)

Anyway, I've usually set up each channel for different basses, so that I can quickly change without having to adjust the EQ, etc.
    I had noticed that whatever bass was plugged into Channel 1 sounded a bit better, so I set each channel completely flat and A/B'd them using the same bass. I found that Channel 1 is a bit "fuller" sounding than Channel 2. It's not that it's louder, but that Channel 2 sounds a bit thinner compared to Channel 1. It's not a huge difference, but enough that my obsessive ears could notice during my A/B.

Any ideas what could cause this?

[​IMG]

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think the second channel is designed more for an upright bass. BTW, can anyone give me Mr. Woods number :D

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I had a similar expierience except it wasnt flat it was with subtle EQ. I called walter and explained to him the deal and he said the the pots a have a subtle variance and to accept it I noticed the 2 channels souned Identical with one bass Knob just a little higher than the other.So I'm cool with it.

AJ

4. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks guys.
    I'll play around with the EQ and see if boosting a particular frequency will even things up.

5. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    It doesn't seem to be just cutting or boosting a knob is evening things up.

Channel 1 is not just fuller, but kind of louder too. Just a fuller sound overall...:confused:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not really louder, but just a little fuller, as I understand it. Well, maybe a little louder, too.

7. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    I just returned my Walter Woods high power mono amp. I did not like the sound. It was too bright. Way too bright for my taste. I used it with my Epifani 112 and my Tobias basic 5 pre Gibson on a gig and my bandmates told me not to bring it again. I am using my small gk200rb again that has a richer and more mellow tone (good for jazz and any style really).
    But this is just my opinion, I have heard players like Lincoln Goines play through the WW and it sounded great. I guess that it depends on the type of bass and speaker cab you use.
    WW refunded my money really quickly (minus $65 for s/h).

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I could see that. I use a sans amp when I want the brown tone.

one of the things I love is the 2 channels and I can set one for electric (ultra brown) and one for upright(which requires a less colored sound.)

AJ

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not too loud, and not too full, really, but just a little too bright.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i wish i had a Walter Woods to have a problem to begin with... :meh:

11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Sorry to hear you didn't like your Woods. I can tell you from my experience that the speaker cabs make a big difference. I've played my WW through some cabs and it sounded like total doo doo. But, with cabs like the Bergatino's and Euphonic Audio the tone is AWESOME!!

12. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've been using WW amps for a few years and absolutely love them. The tone is great and with the Nahas cabs I'm using, the rig sounds wonderful.
    It's just that Channel 1 sounds a little bit *more* wonderful ;)

Even using all-graphite Status basses, I never found the sound to be too bright, even when set flat.

13. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I haven't found my Ultra Wally to be over bright either. I usually run mine full range with the Eden 4x10XLT and the Bag End 15. Sounds good to me!

14. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I agree about the speakers. I use my WW with two Euphonic Audio CXl112s and love the sound. Very full and clear bottom.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As long as we are talking about WW amps, I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with. First off, I was operating under the assumption that he was making "bass" amps, but when I got his brochure, I am not sure if his amps are for electric and upright bass, or if they would also be designed for electric and/or acoustic guitar. Does anyone know the asnwer to this?

Second, I see that he has ratings printed for power output into 4 and 8 Ohm loads, but not for 2 Ohms. Are his amps stable down to 2 Ohm? If so, what is the output of the Ultra at 2 Ohms? I have been trying to get in touch with Walter, but apparently he is on vacation or something. I am hoping to talk to him later this week.

Also, can someone tell me what the "Balance" and "Vari" knobs do? I would assume that the Vari controls the frequency of the Mid boost or cut. But I am unsure what the Balance knob controls.

With regard to the power section, is this a switching power supply setup? Is it Class D? How does his power amp section vary from something like the iAMP 800?

Finally, what is the warranty on his amps? I didn't see anything in the brochure on the warranty.

I must say that there are a few things that I would like to see on his amps that aren't there. For instance, an amp in that price range that puts out 1,200+ watts should really have Speakon outs. Also, does anyone know the mentality of having a 1/4" DI only? Sure, I could buy another direct box, but for $2k plus, it'd be nice to have it built in.

I still am very much interested in his amps. The combination of size and power is very impressive, and I have heard nothing but good things concerning the tone. Still, compared to the iAMP 800, the price is pretty steep, and the 800 has some nice features that are missing on the WW's.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Tom,
    The preamp on Walter's amps are very versatile and can be used for any instrument.

Walter's amps will only go to 4 ohms.

The balance shifts the whole preamp to more bass or treble, depending on which way you turn it. Vari is for the midrange.

Don't know about the power section, but there are a lot of amp builders scratching their head how he did it.

2 year full warranty and except for the handmade components which are for life.

1/4" DI is used because Walter had trouble on his early ones with XLR with bad humming. The 1/4" output must be used with a DI box that has a isolation transformer to avoid the same hum problem. Don't let this little glitch steer you away. That 1/4" output puts out the best tone you could imagine.

I've owned 2 iAmps and they are good amps, but I'd rather have the Woods.:bassist:

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks for the feedback!

18. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Just got off the phone with Walter and everything is fine. He explained, like Andrew mentioned, that even though the two channels are set up to be the same, because of variances with the pots, they will never sound exactly the same.

It's always nice to get the info directly from the man himself to set me at ease.
    And Walter's customer service is top notch. I've never called without either him picking up, or calling right back, and any issue or concern I've ever had he's taken care of without hesitation. He's an extremely helpful (and gifted) man, and if you are lucky enough to get him on the phone, you'll actually want to give him large sums of money for one of his amps!

PS- Tom, come on in, the waters fine!! :D [​IMG]