1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walter Woods repair question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, May 7, 2006.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

My Ultra is in need of repair.
    Volume pot on 2nd channel is buzzing and channel one sounds distorted..

I changed cables / changed cabinets / changed power source / changed basses...

This head has very little use and its approx two years old....

Do I need to send to WW or are there any alternitives?

Anybody have there WW heads repaired by Walter..if so any info would be appreciated.

THANKS !!!

2. Best bet would be to call Walter himself. Once he understands the issue he will advise you what the best course of action would be. It may be something a local repair guy can do or it may be something that would be better done by Walter himself. I had an issue with my pilot light not working and he sent me a replacement part and schematics and said that it would be something simple to fix and cheaper to have a local repair person do. I did this and it worked fine!
    Good luck with it.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Walter is the man to talk to regarding this repair. His prices are reasonable, and you know that it will be done right. Plus, he is just a pleasure to work with and talk to.

Tom.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I spoke with Walter today and will be calling him tonite to do an assesment over the phone with the Ultra plugged in and connected to a cab..

I just purchased a new can of tuner cleaner and he thinks a dirty pot or an input jack might be the root of the problem...

What I did learn from him today is that when purchasing tuner cleaner it should not have mineral water...
    it leaves behind a harmful residue...

I'll post up tomorrow with the results...

thats if I dont electrocute myself tonite!!

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It will also remove the nice glide feel if sprayed in mixer faders.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would highly recommend sending your amp to him. I had a scratchy volume pot on my early 2001 vintage Ultra. Walter replaced the pot and upgraded the unit to current specs for a very reasonable price, and had the amp back to me within 5 business days.

K

7. In case the problem is merely a dirty pot -- Walter recommends a Hosa Electronics product called "BigBath," which did a number on my '86 when I picked it up in shabby shape last year.
    Be OUTSIDE when you spray that stuff into the pots, and try not to inhale any of it. Rotate the pot briskly back and forth, and give the spray a few hours to dry to be on the safe side.
    Anything more complicated than that, and I'd send the amp back.
    Good luck!