Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods Specs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eunchang, Aug 18, 2004.

1. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Hi everybody. Another WW question. I did search and read most of them. Still curious about some specs(I know specs don't tell me the exact SOUND but maybe it can give me some hints I guess).

Other than size, weight and power ratings, I couldn't find detailed specs of WW amps. Input impedance, how the tone controls are voiced(+- ??db @ ?? hz) things like that. Can I get those info somewhere or should I just BELIEVE that a WW is the ultimate bass amp??

I need a portable and powerful amp pretty soon. I think I've got a tour gig with some "name" jazz trumpeter's 10 piece band. Still waiting for the confirmation but the G.A.S attacked me already.. :D

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are no specs available and Walter redesigns the circuits all the time. If you send one in for a repair he upgades it to his latest design.

I can tell you he has revoiced the EQ radically since the 1980s. I have an old MI-225-8 and a recent MI-200-8 and they sound a LOT different (but both sound GOOD). I can tell you that both are very MUSICAL, the simple bass/mid/treble EQ really works well.

If you're on the fence because of the lack of info (buying a WW if you've never played through one is a HUGE leap of faith), you should look into Acoustic Image: much cheaper than Walter's amps but they sound good for double bass as well as electric, are easier to buy and they do publish their specs for you to peruse.

3. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    You read my mind. I've heard all the great stories about WWs but other than Richard Bona's live performance at a small club I didn't have a chance to hear a WW. Look at my location :rollno:

On the other hand, I've tried several AI combos including older version Contra and newer Coda. I liked them pretty much but I don't know...I just wanna try a WW!! I know it's GAS but who knows?? Maybe a WW can cure my GAS entirely(at least just for a while ;) ). And I have to admit that the one on the classified is really tempting.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    One bit of advice: you can easily resell a used WW within a few days (if not HOURS) for what you paid if you don't like it. That makes it almost risk-free if you can get ahold of one.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also observed this phenomenon regardng WW heads.

Which is why there is a WW Ultra on its way to me right now!:hyper:

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've been playing WW amps since 1980 and presently use the Ultra. I also recently bought the new AI Focus amp. The Focus is a nice unit, but it doesn't come close to the tone and power of the WW. Even the WW 300 watt Hi Power will out perform the Focus. So bottom line, go for the WW! :bassist:

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very cool, Tom! With your array of super cabs, I can't wait to hear your report when you hook up the WWU!
    :cool:

8. Tom nice move, you won't regret it. I too took the plunge knowing if the WWU didn't work for me I could sell it right away for at least what I paid. But that won't happen anytime soon because it's my favorite amp. Simple, light, versitile, and loud as hell.

9. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    ... so what's the going rate ... I note there are several models, is there an easy way to know what a fair price is .. a list of some type?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm looking forward to doing a shootout with my iAMP 800. My thoughts were to set them both up with a VL-110/VL-208 under each, equalize volumes, leave tone set flat, and then run through my gamut of instruments and see how they do! The beauty of it is that, as stated above, if I don't like the Wally Ultra (or if it is not a marked improvement over the iAMP 800), I should have no troubles passing it on to another bass player! ;)

But, being the consummate gear hound and horder that I am, I don't think that it will be leaving my greedy little hands, once I get it!