Walter Woods - Stereo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Hey TB'ers

Can anyone tell me the spec on this amp? It's the green light model. If you use it stereo mode will you have 2 times 4 ohm?

Are they more rare than the Ultra model?

2. I can't find my old brochure from Walter. I know the green light mono was around 350 watts into 4ohms... I assume the green light stereo would be about the same into each 4ohm channel, and around 700 watts or so bridged into 8ohm. I'm pretty sure you can't bridge a Walter into 4ohms.

Not exactly sure of the above, but I believe that's pretty close, depending on how old it is (the newer the model, the greater the wattage per each model (orange, green, red, blue light).
  3. Ok... found a brochure from about 3 or 4 years ago. If you are talking about a new green light stereo... here's the specs:

per side 225 watts 8ohms 350 4ohms

bridged 700 8ohm, 1000 4ohms (I was wrong about not being able to bridge into 4ohms, according to the brochure)
  4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The Hi Power Stereo model is 225 watts @ 8 ohms and 350 watts @ 4 ohms per side. 700 watts bridged @ 8 ohms and 1000 watts @ 4 ohms. You need a bridge cord to bridge it( i can tell you how to make one if you don't have it). They are not real rare, but not as often seen as the Ultra. In my opinion all of his mono amps sound better than the stereo model.
  5. Thanks guys.

That was the info I needed! So this is the only WW that can run two 4 ohm cab. Is that right?

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Basically correct. I do know of a couple of custom mono amps he built that would go to 2 ohms.
  7. Reefer and I must be looking at the same brochure :)

Walter does list a 'special order option' for the green light mono head, The standard green light mono (hi power) is 300 watts into 8 and 450 watts into 4. The special order option allows the green light mono to run into 2 ohms (two 40hm cabs) and puts out 700 watts into the 2 ohm load. I've never seen one nor do I know anyone who's had one.... so I think these are very rare.

The pricing back then had $300 increments as you 'move up' from the standard mono green light to the special order green light, and then to the green light stereo model.
  8. If I just would find a WW green model :smug:
    Then I buy two Epifani 3x10 :p

9. Or... just get a blue light mono model and get a 410UL in the 4ohm version!
  10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The Ultra has plenty of power at 8 ohms, get one 8 ohm 410UL and leave room for a second one if needed.

11. Two 410's would be a monster with the Ultra... I can't even imagine.

I've mentioned this on other posts, some agree with me, some don't, so take it with a grain of salt... but the 800-1200 watts of the Walter do not have the sonic impact as, for example, the 800-1000 watts of the big Edens, or a big lead sled power amp. I actually find that my 500 watt Thunderfunk into my 4ohm Epifani410UL is more punchy and impactful in the low end. The WW is just as loud, but does not seem to be as 'chest thumping' as you would think given its wattage. Of course, its still amazing for its size and weight, and sounds great. However, unless you really think you are going to need a second cab, I'd max that amp out at 4ohms. Just a thought....
  12. Ken!

Why don't sell your WW to me?

13. Ha! Just because it's not a 'chest thumper' doing the rock and funk thing doesn't mean I don't love it for everything else!

14. Yeah! I know :smug:
    I just really want one :help: