Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods - The man not the amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Feb 17, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Seeing that Woods post elicits a request for some feedback.

I orded an amp from Walter a year ago last month. Neat guy, nice conversation. Since then, haven't heard squat on the amp. I knew it would be a while. I know some people have waited a year and a half for an amp. Saw a post recently that said his turn around time was down to 4 months now. So I called him and left a message. Last August I sent a letter with a self addressed stamp postcard enclosed so all he'd have to do is drop it in the mail just to confirm that, yeh - I've got you down. Called and left messages a time or two between last January and August. He never asked for an address or anything and just had the phone number.

Never heard back. I'm not sweating the amp and if it never happens it's no tregedy, they're a plenty of amps and I've got some of them.

Just wondering what people that have gotten amps from Walter have to say on this?

======================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Wow. I'm surprised. I do know Walter is always busy. It took me 9 months to get my Ultra and I'm local; I drove out to Palm Desert and picked it up in person. Not sure why you've gotten no response. Hope he's OK. I last spoke with him over Thanksgiving. You do know he's an elderly man, right?

In any case, please let us know if you hear anything...and particularly if you don't!

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    To be honest I don't know what the deal is. I've bought a number of amps from Walter and always received my order within the period of time he stated and now I've had a stereo model on order for 2 years still don't have it. Yet there was a post just last week where someone just received a stereo model from him. I found a used one not too long ago so I just wrote it off, but stories like yours I've heard before. If you ordered anything but an Ultra it usually takes longer. All I can say is keep calling.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd guess he was 50 or so from talking to him. I'm no spring chicken, which is one reason I ordered the thing. I know one of the times I called I was going to ask about - who do I get to patch this puppy if something happens to you, since he does EVERYTHING himself.

======================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    When I first called he sounded real encouraging and said he was getting ready to run a batch and could I pay on short notice. I said yeh, I can pay now for that matter. I told him I wanted a stereo 1000 and he got real quiet. Then said, well it will be a while then, which I guess was my period of stated time. I understand you've got pro's and repeat customers, and even people that have ordered an amp every year from him for years so you're going to get jumped in the cue. I just wanted a single confirmation that I wasn't waiting on the Titanic to come in, I didn't expect a Christmas card. And it has crossed my mind to pick one up used but you just don't see stereo 1000's for sell. And I'd prefer to get one from him. Not that big a deal, I just was wondering.

====================

6. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    When you say "ordered an amp from Walter", what do you actually mean? Did you send him any money? I ask only because you seem pretty lackadaisical about whether or not you get it ("I'm not sweating the amp and if it never happens it's no tregedy, they're a plenty of amps and I've got some of them."), can I safely assume you don't have any money out there yet?

I bought a LoPower in 1997 and the conversation went something like this -

ME - "Hi, I got the brochure and I'd like to order the LoPower. So, do I give you a credit card number or what?"

WALTER - "Nope, you want to order an amp you send me a cashier's check or a money order for half the amount, when I finish the amp I call you and you send me the other half and I ship it out."

ME - "Oh."

So I got the money order and I called him back and he said that somebody had just cancelled an order and if I sent him the full amount he would send me the amp. So I did and he did and a week after my original call I had the amp.

I'm just wondering if this is a situation where you think you ordered an amp and Walter is selling amps to people who have sent in the deposit.

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Walter no longer takes deposits.

8. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I got the same moment of silence when I ordered my stereo. His Ultra is his biggest seller and you could have one usually from 2 weeks to 6 months. He doesn't make a run on the other models til he has enough orders to justify it. The Ultra is also the best sounding amp(they all sound good though) and unless you have to have a stereo amp I'd recommend going for the Ultra.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My experience was that I waited over 2 years for a mono HiPower before ending up being offered a used one instead by a fellow talkbasser.

Walter first told me 6 months, after about 8 I called and he apologized for the delay. I called again after a year. Still not ready but he assured me my name was still on the list. I continued calling on 6 month intervals and he finally suggested looking for a used one :eek:

Shortly thereafter I heard from TWO people I know that had ordered amps and gotten them within a few weeks. I called one more time after that saying I would buy ANY model if it meant I would get an amp soon and got no reply at all.

Then I was offered a used one and went for it.

I'm not really expecting to ever hear from Walter that my amp is ready :meh:

I really hope my experience is atypical.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Most of the above is addressed in other posts. But that's my point. it didn't feel like I ordered anything. We had a fairly brief conversation over a year ago. I called one week and he sent me a brochure, I called the next week and I "ordered." Havn't reached him since.

But no, I'm not sweating this amp. If I were, I'd have bought one used long ago - or I'd be in a hell of shape now.

=========================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player." And how do you punch these damn quotes in so you don't have to copy them everytime!

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, when I ordered the stereo, he said most people want the Ultra. Didn't ask him why and he didn't offer. Even though he didn't act like it, I understand this guys busy and has things to do. I just figured I didn't need the extra power and the stereo was a nice option. But I might have ordered differently having it to do over, since who knows when he'll have enough orders to fill a batch. But it obviously makes sense to build them that way. Hmm? Iceberg Ho!

==================

"Where's all this !@#$% water coming from (captain of the Titanic)."

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    This may sound stupid, but to my knowledge, I've never even heard one of these things. 1000 watts the size of a cigar box and not weighing much more, used by pro's all over the world, they sell used for 80% or better of retail. Good enuff for me.

But it's not the first time I've heard your comment. So in what way is the sound better in the ultra (or lacking in the stereo).

====================

The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ha, ha! No, Walter is in his seventies, judging by his appearance. Quite a distinguished looking fellow, actually, with a snow white ponytail and beard but definitely elderly. He's as sharp as a tack, however. And extremely warm in-person.

14. This Walter Woods fella is becoming the coolest dude that I've heard of. BTW, it sounds like he might be the only person living capable of making that "real light SVT" I hear people whine for. If he started building one tomorrow would he live long enough to ship it to me. Would I live long enough to receive it?

15. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I Just wanted to chime in since my recent Woods purchase was mentioned in this quote. I feel that I just called at the right time. Since the hot product in his line right now is the High Power Ultra, I think that made getting a stereo model easier. It could very well be that the amp I received may have been made for someone else. When I called I was prepared to be put on the famous list. I was told that If I was ready to buy now, that he could get a stereo model out to me quickly. The rest is history. I think he is one man trying to do the job of 10. Walter is not the type who would blow someone off. Let's face it, his business is his reputation. As a side note I will say that the amp is amazing, and I would have waited a year to get one.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Interesting, I kind of had him pictured as a Kenny Rodgers looking character but thinner. Not that far off it sounds. But he didn't sound that old. And he definitely was at no lack for snap. Guy has got to be one story to tell.

=================
    "The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

17. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I know that Walter was in the US Army Band in the early 1960's, so he was probably in his early 20's at that time. so 40 years later would put him in his '60's.

18. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Walter did me a favor and built one for me and delivered it in less than a week, so it can be done. Yes, he's the coolest! :bassist:

19. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Yes, he can be hard to get in touch with. But he's always either picked up the phone while I'm leaving a message, or he's called back within a couple hours.

He's definitely right up there with Roger Sadowsky in my book. Amazing product and possibly more importantly, amazing customer service. I've found him to be an incredibly helpful and generous man. After dealing with him personally, it made the price of his amps easier to swallow. The sound of it didn't hurt either. :)

20. I keep hearing about these WW amps. Can anybody fill me in about some of the technical details of these amps? How does he manage to make it powerful, small and light? And why is the the only one who can offer such amps?